Car Ports - How do you guys store your cars outside?

-

Weak440

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I am getting ready to finish the body work on my Duster. When it is assembled, we are going to start driving it and move our '68 in to the garage.

So, The Duster is going to be "stored" outside when it isn't driven.

I have been thinking about building a "lean to" on the side of our garage to keep the car out of the elements.

I was wondering how you guys stored your cars when the garage is occupied with another project? :burnout:

Short answer; not very well.

I've tried tarps, lean to's, portable garages (fitted tarp around pipe frame so popular now because of cost and local regulation) and nothing really works to take the place of a garage.

Cant aford a real garage so this works great for me in fact I have restored 4 cars in this portable garage.

Attachments

• 000_0132.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 308
Depends where you live. Up here we get dew each morning expect right now. A car cover is a must and a car port better yet. I would cover the car in the carport and don't get a cheap cover. Have to keep it dry and the sun off it and it be fine

I have used a portable garage for the last two years with no complaints. Of course, SoCal has mild weather all year round.

Store my Valiant under a Northern Tools 10' by 20' heavy duty canopy designed to hold a snow load & take 60 mph winds. Was pricey but have had absolutely no problems. Here is a pick with 2 feet of snow on her.

Oldschoolcuda

Attachments

• parts 361.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 239
Store my Valiant under a Northern Tools 10' by 20' heavy duty canopy designed to hold a snow load & take 60 mph winds. Was pricey but have had absolutely no problems. Here is a pick with 2 feet of snow on her.

Oldschoolcuda

You had to show snow:violent1:

I converted my carport to a garage years ago to store my cuda and when we got the charger we extended it further now it's 2 cars deep and room for one out side under the remaining carport.After and outside after photos. Yes my son has a mustang as a daily driver.

Attachments

• GARAGE 001.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 212
  • GARAGE 003.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 214
  • louis mustang 005.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 223
A "lean to" is a great idea.

First... you already have a solid wall in your advantage so the elements can't blow in that direction.
Second..you have a wall that can't move there for it will not let the lean to move.

I would recommend flash and roof the "lean to" to the existing wall therefore keeping as much moisture away from you ride. Have fascia at the slope end that way you can have a gutter system to catch rain water and run it away from your ride. The gutter will keep the splatter of rain water off the ground.

Depends on where you live. In Sacramento, a tarp works well since it is fairly dry. In other locations a tarp may cause a more humid environment under the tarp from ground moisture. In Florida cars can rust even under a carport. What you want is to limit the day/night temperature swings since cold metal in the morning can cause condensation. Tarps don't last long in sunlight, so for long-term it is cheaper to get a metal roofed cover.

The worst thing is no cover from sun and leaves. Many of the cars we inherited had leaves build-up in the cowls and trunk drains, causing rust and leakage to the interior. Wet carpets rust floors quick. Some were even left for years with the windows down when they could easily have been raised, and the owners think they have a $10K car.

I stumbled across nearly 8,000 lbs of 8' long galvanized channel that was overage from a warehouse project. Built two carports and have lots left. Here's the front one, with the Dart and one more rig "almost" under. The snow blew in after a huge wind. I'm seriously considering adding sides to the thing, at least down to about waist level

w6ru40.jpg

vcuclz.jpg

qn7dqc.jpg

The rear carport project laying out the "jig" for the trusses, and the front one in assembly

Attachments

• _MG_5020cs.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 186
  • _MG_5002cs.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 197
  • _MG_4968cs.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 183
  • _MG_4923cs.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 974
  • _MG_4916cs.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 211
  • _MG_4913cs.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 218
  • _MG_4906CS.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 996
  • _MG_4900cs.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 211
Before we built a garage my dad stored his 68 Charger outside with 2 car covers 2 tarps and then another cover. Did that for over 10 years no probs.

-
Back