Car smokes out left side.

-
I had a 340 decades ago that developed a smoking issue out a pipe. Just as you describe. When I tore it down I found I had detonated the ring lands apart. The top ring was good - but the #2 ring (oil scraper) was broken in pcs, and the 3pc oil ring was completely blown off and in the pan, with on of the actual ring sections wrapped around the cam. You just never know.

Not me on exshaust studs. However my mechanic said look close at valve cover to make sure it isnt leaking or loose. I will check that now, I hope its that simple.

All valve cover bolts were loose tightened them up but Im gonna guess it will take a good drive to know anything.

Im convinced it isnt water Its been driven far enought to dry things out. So I guess we start with pulling plugs then a compression check. Whats the diff between wet, and dry check?

A dry test you just pull the plug and go. do this one first.

The wet test, you take an oil squirt can and give 2-3 squirts of oil down the spark plug hole and do another compression test.

If the cylinder reading increases wet than dry, then your problem is in the rings. If it is the same wet and dry, then you need to look at the valve (seals & guides).

The squirts of oil help temporarily seal the rings for the wet test.

You can then do a leakdown test to see if it is in an intake or exhaust valve or blowby.

Blue smoke is usually oil, not fuel. Fuel is black, sooty looking smoke. The facts that it's only one pipe and that it get's heavier when you let off (high vacuum) leads me to think either an intake gasket leak (internal), valve seals, or rings in a particular cylinder. A look at the plugs from that side should tell you which hole it is. Do the compression test, if that one hole is low it's rings. If the compression test is fine or that one hole is a little higher - it's seals or possibly an intake leak. I don;t think it's the carb in either case. You've got something wrong in the engine itself.

X2.

A simple examination of the plugs will tell quite a bit. Any oil on threads or the tips, or black in color? Fresh engine shouldn't have stuck rings, however poorly honed blocks wont seal rings no matter how much magic potion people tell you to dump in the oil. If the rings are sealing that poorly I would bet the valve guides aren't any better and will lend to the problem.

Number 7 plug has oil on the threads, plenty of oil compression checked the same acros the board. I guess we look at number 7 valve guides, seals etc tomorrow.

Valve seal seal gone on intake number 7. After examining this the rest are starting to deteriot. Im gonna start a new thread on valve seals.

-
Back