Car smokes out left side.

-

tekslk

Reaction score
67 barracuda 360 rebuilt maybe 2 years ago. I get it out this spring and it smokes out left side. Exshaust is wet, Im thinking its fuel not oil, How do I fix this, carb is 2 year old holley 770 street avenger. Car runs excellentd just smokes constantly out left side. Note excessive smoke but more than should be there.

Carb might just be gummed up from sitting or might need a rebuild if it ran fine when you parked it.

Good morning & Happy Easter!

I'd probably start by pulling the plugs. Might help determine if it's from the whole bank or just a isolated cylinder. Should also help to confirm if it's fuel, water, or oil.

Maybe a critter crawled up in the muffler for winter, and your just steaming them out...:smile:

I might be nothing more than water ( condensation ). If you have a typical heat riser flap in the right manifold and crossover under the intake, you'll get typical drips from the left tail pipe, until it gets good and hot anyway.

I like the (Maybe a critter crawled up in the muffler for winter) post myself :D
But yes, take it out for a 30 mile drive and let it idle and see if it is indeed black smoke (gas) running rich, but I would pull the plugs after a good run if it was still smoking :coffee2:
Critter in the exhaust :D never thought of that before Rick :D

What color is the smoke? Is it all the time, just idle, just full throttle? Does it start smoking immediately or start as it warms up? Constant amount or sometimes heavier smoke? What is the throttle position if/when it gets heavier?

Pulling the plugs and isolating the problem is good advice.
Perform a cylinder pressure test while you have them out.
A vacuum test may help also.
A weak spark to one or more cylinders due to a bad plug or wire ?
Valve seal or valve guide problems ?
Good luck and keep us posted.

If it's been sitting I would take it for a nice drive and get it to operating temp for a bit.

See where you're at after that. I get moisture out of mine too after hibernation.

Sorta blueish smoke all the time a little heavier if I rev it up for a couple seconds than leave off. I will pull plugs this week this would be third season on them. I dont run a choke, and no misfireing, car runs great. I use trailbeast hei conversion with plugs gapped at 45.

Like others have said, a car that sits gets condensation in the exhaust. Nothing more than a good drive may solve the issue.

How long did you let it run?

Ive driven it about 250 miles, plus it didnt sit more than 30 days all winter without a good warming up. I use ethnohol treatments and all the good stuff you have to these days also.

Blue smoke is usually oil, not fuel. Fuel is black, sooty looking smoke. The facts that it's only one pipe and that it get's heavier when you let off (high vacuum) leads me to think either an intake gasket leak (internal), valve seals, or rings in a particular cylinder. A look at the plugs from that side should tell you which hole it is. Do the compression test, if that one hole is low it's rings. If the compression test is fine or that one hole is a little higher - it's seals or possibly an intake leak. I don;t think it's the carb in either case. You've got something wrong in the engine itself.

Do a wet and dry compression test and see what it says.

Start with the basics.

Im convinced it isnt water Its been driven far enought to dry things out. So I guess we start with pulling plugs then a compression check. Whats the diff between wet, and dry check?

White-ish smoke, anti-freeze, blue-ish, oil...
It doesn't take much to smoke oil or anti freeze so you may not notice either level going down.
Over the winter the manifold gasket may have gone away. Just a thought

Check your heat risor while you're in there. Wont cause blue smoke but will cause the crossover to the left side.
Good luck

You think maybe you could answer some questions? They've been asked multiple times now in an effort to help you. See post #6 and please answer said questions.

The smoke is a blueish color, it smokes all the time,minamal. blueish gray kinda actually. If I wind it up in neutral and let up its a little heavyier. I thought I did answer questions in post 10. Smokes a little more while warming up.

Hummmm, sounds like gummed up or stuck rings, oil control trouble. I had a buddy 340 4 speed Swinger, he didn't drive it for some time and was scared #### when this happened. So Sea-Foam in the oil, drive it and it cleared up. I am not saying this is the trouble, but at this point its cheap to try....It worked for my friend, no smoke to this day! I hope it's that simple....Another thought, maybe a valve guide seal cracked and is leaking? This usually causes smoke only upon start up, but if the valve guide itself is worn......maybe all the time?

The smoke is a blueish color, it smokes all the time,minamal. blueish gray kinda actually. If I wind it up in neutral and let up its a little heavyier. I thought I did answer questions in post 10. Smokes a little more while warming up.

My apologies, tekslk, I missed it. If it smokes when you rev it, it's rings. Really only one fix for it. It MIGHT be that they are stuck and will free up after some miles. You might try doing an oil change and stopping two quarts shy and adding two quarts of Dextron ATF. Won't hurt a thing and will likely free up those rings if that's what it is.

Engine awful new for this but Ive seen stranger things happen. I will check plugs and try to get compression check done soon andkeep everyone tuned up on whats happenin.

-
Back