Car starts right up after storage...but....

-

illcuda65

Reaction score
Hi everyone-

My 65 cuda started right up after 4 months of storage. However, once the car has ran a little or is warm, it does not to start again. Looking for suggestions.

Thanks,
Illcuda65

We might assume its not getting spark but that should cause it to stop on its own. Does it ? or does it not start after you turned it off ?
What time span are we talking between switch off and restart ?
Are you sure the choke is working properly ?
Does it run right when its warm ?
Looked for vacuum leaks ?

Carb,ignition.....look for cracked vaccum lines,might want to rebuild ur carb,might want to mark sure ur ign system is working proper.u can check fuses,replace ballast resistor because those act dumb alot of times.check grounds for coil and ign. Make sure ur getting right volts to coil..,alot to be checked be more specific plz

Check the coil.
Coils hate heat of any kind, and so do ballast resistors too.
Is it points or electronic ignition?
If points, it could be the condenser. If electronic, it could be the coil, ballast resistor, or the control box.
Control boxes and ballast resistors usually just fail and that's it, it won't start.
Also check for loose wires (especially grounds) and wires partially chewed out by rodents.
If the coil is HOT when you touch it, it is going bad, or is bad.
My money is on the coil going dead when warm, too much resistance.

We might assume its not getting spark but that should cause it to stop on its own. Does it ? or does it not start after you turned it off ?
What time span are we talking between switch off and restart ?
Are you sure the choke is working properly ?
Does it run right when its warm ?
Looked for vacuum leaks ?

The car does not start after I turn it off.

Time span is typically immediate.

I have only had it idling for a while so not 100% sure it is running right when it is warmed up.

I have not yet looked for vacuum leaks- will do...

It was a bad ignition coil.

I replaced the Mopar Performance coil part number 4876732 with an Accel 8140C coil- running fine. Need to get it out on the road and test to see if there is a difference at all.

-
Back