Car Weight

-
I had a lite-weight big block 1974 duster back in the 1980’-1990’s. Steel fenders and doors (lexan windows) fiberglass hood, trunk, front and rear bumpers, Dana, 727, lite-weight front disk brakes, drum rear brakes, factory front suspension, super stock springs, factory steel floor with steel mini
Tubs, 14-31 slicks, 440 with 906 heads and weiand tunnel ram. 2600 pounds without me in it. Ran 9.82 with junk parts.

8FDA5C9E-653F-4E3E-BE34-98BA31738557.jpeg

Coming from someone that built, maintained, and calibrated all types of scales during my millwright years scrap scales aren’t the most accurate scales in the world. Just throwing this out there.
Yeah well......it's all I got around here.

I have found that junkyards and landfills scales are not that accurate, they only care about the difference in weight.

Find a truck stop with certified scales.

I WANT a set of four wheel scales, but I just can't justify their cost, and they sure aren't getting cheaper.....

I chucked that off my wish list about five years ago. After 47 years of racing it’s to late now. Lol

Can I borrow your scales? Only for a few months? LOL.

Seriously, I think I can get mine weighed at one of the roundy-round race shops at irwindale.

I will put Victoria on the scale again, my son has stock car four wheel scales, 2.870 with half tank and hand tools with stock equipment

FB_IMG_1569846461669.jpg

FB_IMG_1570192052880.jpg

67 Dart sedan 3420 with me (140 lbs) in it track scales.
All glass and metal, 340 iron head/999/GVOD/8.75, steel wheels, no heat or cage, driver seat only, frame connectors, 11 gal of fuel, 20 lbs of my stuff; tool bag, small cooler.

72' Scamp. Aluminum heads/intake, 904, D60, disc brakes, fiberglass hood, steel bumpers, subframe connectors, full glass, full interior (bucket seats), no A/C, wiper motor, carbon fiber driveshaft, and stereo.

Light is right...

20220924-152740.jpg

20221016-102029.jpg

Last year at Bowling Green my street/strip Dart weighed 3292 with my 185ish pounds, probably five-seven gallons of gas and no exhaust. Bolt on AAR fiberglass hood that weighs a little over 29 pounds, fiberglass front bumper and lightened factory brackets. Full interior with the heater, wipers, radio and vents. Kirkey aluminum seats, factory rear seat, carpet and all glass. S-60, disks front and rear, Stange and Wilwood. Indy headed R1 block, 727 and manual steering.

There are lots of places I could remove weight, but I'm not cutting this car up.

Ruster is About 2300 With me In it and full Racing gear and gas. Need to check the weights again.

I can't understand why these car's aren't more popular! They're so light why do people not use more as race cars vs late abody.
Late A bodies = Heavier but more affordable / less desirable .. The best RWD A body for lightness is the 60-62 Valiant / Lancer, then you get into the crickets / Arrow / Challenger Rebadged Mitsu Cars. I have an '87? Sundace for another project sometime.

I have cut a Lot of weight out of mine - Valiants of this generation were also 3" than the Dart hardtops.

What?!?! Only 3 other "likes" for Greg's Ruster vids?? :elmer:

When I decided to show-off in the Thunderbooger one day, I spit a spider gear in the 7.25 in front of a small crowd, lol...
After tossing a spare in it, I hauled the old one to the scrap yard in the trunk, no carpets, padding, mats, or headliner, just seats.
Car('69 Dart Custom HT 318/998), weighed 2840# after I tossed out the old rear, w/o Me in it. Take that for what it's worth I guess.

My early 1964 A body valiant sedan is 1408 kg or 3105 Lbs. Small block cast iron heads 904 and 8 3/4.

Dusters can have the lighter pop out rear window. Fastbacks are just heavy. Each rear regulator in my car weighs a bunch. The rear glass. All the steel interior panels. The cargo floor, the trunk partiion was 15 lbs. a whole bunch of interior space to cover in shiny trim.

I weighed my new project at the county dump today. (I thought they might try to keep it, lol.) 2760# without me (I'm 200), 1/4 tank of gas.

-74 Dart Sport cloned into 71-71 Duster.
-Fiberglass hood (lift-off), fenders, and bumpers.
-Aluminum bumper brackets.
-72 doors. (no crash beam)
-Prostar wheels.
-No wipers, radio or heater.
-Corbeau buckets, no back seat.
-360, 727. (maybe 400 hp?)
-Headers, turbo mufflers, dumped.
-Aluminum intake, iron heads.
-Wilwood front discs.

I was kind of surprised it's not heavier. I've only had one other a-body weighed; a stock 72 Demon 340 w/ 727. I think it was about 3500? But that's been a long time ago, and I don't remember if I was in it, or how much gas was in it.

I'll get to the track in the Spring. :steering:
View attachment 1716010684
Does your car weight include a 6-8 point roll bar and/or frame connectors? I can't tell by the photo.

Going to a 904 will save a few pounds overall plus pick up about .15 in the 1/4 mile due to less reciprocating weight if converter specs are the same as the 727.

-
Back