Carb Differences

-

DECIPHER

Reaction score
So i have my 66 barracuda with the 273. I have been working to get it running better since i got it and have replaced the holley 2bbl "truck"? carb with a 1850 that is running pretty good. I got some 67 hipo valve covers and the 273 commando air cleaner so to use the cleaner i had to get a different base plate to try and fit it tho it is only a 9" plate. This weekend it picked up a 67 carter from the 67 hipo so it should be a perfect fit but its only a500 cfm.

Those carbs work great, and that is plenty for that motor, i run one on 273 class race car and i love it.

the holly or the carter? the holley is working pretty good i need to adjust a little more but figured the carter was more "correct"

Yes...the Carter is more "correct". if thats your goal, but if its just to have a good running engine, the 1850 Holley, adjusted right, works good too.

600 is a lot of carb for the 273. Take your time with it and dial it in well. It will be just fine.

The 500 is a little better suited for a stock to a mildly modified 273. The smaller venturi's help throttle response for a nice and snappy engine.

Sounds good i guess ill go put this carter on this weekend. Anyone have a good photo shot showing the routing of hoses etc for the 273 hipo with the carter so i can put this in straight? Thanks

Sounds good i guess ill go put this carter on this weekend. Anyone have a good photo shot showing the routing of hoses etc for the 273 hipo with the carter so i can put this in straight? Thanks

004.jpg

Not very good pictures, sorry. I can get new ones if you want a specific area.

those look good thanks! looks like i might need to find the spring and spring bracket

dang tim you have the pass side valve cover i need haha wanna trade!

the holley closes and have not had any problems with clearance. I am using a aftermarker 9" base plate so the filter sits on it not in it. The factory commando plate fits as it should on the carter so things will fit just a little better with it on there.

Tim would you have a pic of the throttle cable to the carter hookup? Looks like my bracket / kickdown is a bit off

Tim would you have a pic of the throttle cable to the carter hookup? Looks like my bracket / kickdown is a bit off

Get a 340 throttle bracket, and it should all adjust to work as it should. Make sure the secondaries open fully with the pedal to the floor. Once you put the Carter on, I doubt you will go back to the Holley. My Holley 1850 went to my brother's Mustang. Then we sold it, since he went Carter also.

-
Back