Carb experts questions

-

furyus2

Reaction score
I have a QFT 600 vacuum secondaries. New carb. Runs well. Still fine tuning. Small block engine. General carb question. Why does one side of the carb adjust fine using the idle mixture, while the other side shows no change when adjusting. Is it just dirt? Thanks.

Is it the QFT slayer series? Mines the Same way. Runs fine but the idle mixture screw on drivers side doesn't really change anything. I've pulled it out and shot carb cleaner through it. No differance, so I just run it

Well, I for one would fix it.And it may not be easy.
But if you don't fix it, it will never run right as you cannot get the T-port sync right. Some 80% or more of the life of the engine, in a streeter, is spent on the low speed circuit, and a great deal of that time, the idle ports are flowing. So if you can screw a mixture screw all the way in without it affecting the idle speed or quality, I would be sending it back if new, or if used, I would be tearing it apart.
It could be as simple as dirt or debris in the air bleed or in the delivery circuit, or a bad gasket. Or it could be a more in-depth problem in the idle well, where,if it's loose it can get into the transfer circuit, and that could make your life miserable.

Id check the idle mix tip. Could be boogered enough to not let it seat fully. Swap screws from ds to ps for a quick check.

To give some ideas to others, I pulled the carb, and disassembled the front. I sprayed carb cleaner through every hole I could find. There was a passage from the main body to the throttle bore under the butterflies that was clogged on the side I was having trouble with. I sprayed carb cleaner, and blew it with compressed air until the carb cleaner came out the other end of the passage. Put the carb back together, and I had my adjustability back. So thanks to all who helped.

-
Back