Carb Heat Soak

-

Mcfarlrm

Reaction score
Looking for a good spacer/gasket recommendation to reduce heat soak on my carb. Current set up is an Edelbrock 650CFM AVS2 carb and performer intake on an LA 360.

For the Performer and AVS2 use #9266 from Edelbrock/Summit/Jegs. Been using them for years.
Be careful as the performer intake is a spread bore. This spacer works but you have to make sure it is square before tightening it down.

Last edited:
What leads you to believe you have a heat soak issue?

Starts right up on cold start and struggles a bit to start after its been running awhile when it's hot.

Looking for a good spacer/gasket recommendation to reduce heat soak on my carb. Current set up is an Edelbrock 650CFM AVS2 carb and performer intake on an LA 360.
I've had to use one of them under every Edelbrock carb I've owned, they also make an open heat insulator. #9265

Along with the Edelbrock 9266, I also recommend blocking off the intake manifold exhaust cross over. That will greatly reduce the intake manifold temperatures under the carburetor. Since you're in Florida, you'll see very little if any cold starting changes.

Cool Carb. It works. I’ve tried them all and this one is the only one that works.

Also, block the crossover off.

Cool Carb. It works. I’ve tried them all and this one is the only one that works.

Also, block the crossover off.
I had their one barrel insulator on the 170 in Vixen before I pulled it out and it made a big difference.

What's the difference between 9266 and 9265? Will try one or the other to see if it helps before blocking off the cross over.

If you have an open plenum intake, single plane, you wouldn't want the 9266, the same if you have a dual plane with the divider milled down. But you can still use the 9265 on either intake.

Last edited:
Starts right up on cold start and struggles a bit to start after its been running awhile when it's hot.
This can also happen if the throttle blades are NOT parked correctly on the Transfer Slots, or if the wet float level is too far out, or if the valve lash is too tight, or if the cranking speed is too slow.

I would have to see proof that the bowels are dry before I believe hard start with a warm engine is caused by carb heat from intake.

I would have to see proof that the bowels are dry before I believe hard start with a warm engine is caused by carb heat from intake.

Happens all the time. It’s not news. It’s a fact.

Has nothing to do with dry bowls. Its because the carb gets so hot it starts percolating the fuel out the boosters and floods the engine.

Its because the carb gets so hot it starts percolating the fuel out the boosters and floods the engine
Then pedal to the floor and crank.

I have never in 30 years of driving carborated cars had that problem.

How did our parents ever drive these cars daily 50 years ago. It must have been miserable :poke:

:rofl:

Then pedal to the floor and crank.

I have never in 30 years of driving carborated cars had that problem.

How did our parents ever drive these cars daily 50 years ago. It must have been miserable :poke:

:rofl:
In 50 years I never had it happen until last summer. Hot day, AC on, when I shut the engine off it sounded like popcorn popping under the hood. Lousy gas is certainly a contributor. A Edelbrock insulator gasket was available at the local AutoZone. That seems to have quick fixed it, but a comprehensive solution would also include blocking manifold heat and installing a vapor return.

It's a more common problem the more ethanol the gas has in it.

It's the puppy pee gas we have now days. I run no ethanol in my 2 old cars and it's still an issue. Like S'cuder mentioned, I can shut the engine off and hear the boiling under the hood. I have a stock 2 barrel on my 318 and a AFB on my 273. They both will do it. If you let them sit over a few days the bowls will be dry. I really need to install a electric charge pump to prime them. The fellas that have done that say they work well.

It's the puppy pee gas we have now days. I run no ethanol in my 2 old cars and it's still an issue. Like S'cuder mentioned, I can shut the engine off and hear the boiling under the hood. I have a stock 2 barrel on my 318 and a AFB on my 273. They both will do it. If you let them sit over a few days the bowls will be dry. I really need to install a electric charge pump to prime them. The fellas that have done that say they work well.
Same here, E-0 gas in 90 octane only for the last five years. No pinging, just percolating.
If it's been more than a couple days since driving it, I fill the float bowl in the AVS through the vent with a little funnel. That way it fires right off instead of cranking it for 20 seconds until the mechanical pump fills it.

You "think" you run non ethanol. I've done some testing on it around here and there's still some in it.

-
Back