Carb is whistling at hot chicks...and dudes.

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
the carter bbd, is all of a sudden whistling after warming up. Only at idle. If i give it gas, stops.
Only thing I did was advance timing a bit.
Does that make any sense?

I removed the air cleaner, it is whistling directly down the throat of the carb. no change if i mess with mixture screws. help??
66 dart slant six.

Try tightening the carburetor mounting fasteners. Almost 100% of the time whistling comes from the carburetor to intake gasket.

Spray water or wd40 around base at throttle shaft on both sides and listen for the noise going away or not. Good luck

Last edited:
Ok still whistling. I warmed her up real good, still hear whistle, removed air cleaner and whistle gets crazy loud. Took can of WD40 and sprayed it all over, every single gasket on the carb. no change. Even sprayed it on intake manifold, no change. and why does the whistle go away when I step on pedal? any other ideas?

Does it die right away when you put your hand over the carb?
Pull the the choke vac line and plug port and check gasket between top ad bottom halves, a section could have broke and fell out, large enough for spray not to plug.

Last edited:
Does it die right away when you put your hand over the carb?
Pull the the choke vac line and plug port and check gasket between top ad bottom halves, a section could have broke and fell out, large enough for spray not to plug.
Well this sure doesn't look right? Does it?
How could this gasket fail like this? It is 8 months old. This was Standard Motor Products 1586 kit from Amazon. $23. BTW I contacted MOPAR site about warranty on this (supposedly 2 years) and he said they dont warranty anything bought on Amazon. OK, then why do you allow your parts to be distributed on Amazon? So you dont have to warranty them? humm.....
And of course I contacted Amazon, and although I had bought this 8 months ago, they are going to send a replacement kit out for free. Even though they only do 30 day replacement coverage.

gaskset - 1.jpg

Well this sure doesn't look right? Does it?
How could this gasket fail like this? It is 8 months old. This was Standard Motor Products 1586 kit from Amazon. $23. BTW I contacted MOPAR site about warranty on this (supposedly 2 years) and he said they dont warranty anything bought on Amazon. OK, then why do you allow your parts to be distributed on Amazon? So you dont have to warranty them? humm.....
And of course I contacted Amazon, and although I had bought this 8 months ago, they are going to send a replacement kit out for free. Even though they only do 30 day replacement coverage.

View attachment 1714970246
Well well, glad you found it.

At some point, it had to pop through the carburetor to make that happen.

Now you guys see my carb., am I supposed to be using the thick gasket at the manifold? cause I am using the thin one with the 2 cut outs. I also have a spacer type that is thick and has the 4 plastic spacers, but it has the very long single cutout? ideas? Since I am going to remove it and rebuild the damn thing again.

Now you guys see my carb., am I supposed to be using the thick gasket at the manifold? cause I am using the thin one with the 2 cut outs. I also have a spacer type that is thick and has the 4 plastic spacers, but it has the very long single cutout? ideas? Since I am going to remove it and rebuild the damn thing again.
I like to use the thicker gasket, but more so regardless of thickness..I like to make sure it matches the bass plate because the kits usually cover a few diff years and had slightly different passages/holes. Match to the right gasket, use the thicker of the 2 if so.

I prefer the thickest gasket you can get. It helps insulate the carburetor from excessive heat and that's important considering the ethanol in pump gas.

Ok update, no more whistle. I removed and took apart the carb, and it turns out that body flange gasket, that was poking out, was installed upside down. humm.... so fixed that and used a thick manifold gasket. seems to be running good, though idle is too fast now? wonder why that changed? maybe height change? or ?

The idle is fast because you fixed the vacuum leak, which was creating your whistle.
Now guys and girls can walk down the sidewalk in peace. :)

-
Back