CARB survey letter

-

Ramcharger360

Reaction score
I had posted this yesterday but it vanished from the Mopar General Discussion forum except wrong forum or maybe not kosher , I've been driving since 1969 and have never had a survey about any older car I've owned.
Received the CARB survey and another person said that they want to know your usage, storage and what you do with the fuel if you don't drive often on pre-1978 vehicles for study info, any info on these surveys. If not allowed, would appreciate a Mod letting me know that's the case,

Resized_20230728_182445_105020959594414.jpeg

Someone probably posted a nasty, political response that got it moved. This CARB letter looks like a meer request for information. I would not fill it out.

Without seeing the questions it is all just speculation. DMV could tell them how many vintage cars are registered and not non-op, I'd say that 95% of the registered vintage cars are driven and not projects.

Alan

I had posted this yesterday but it vanished from the Mopar General Discussion forum except wrong forum or maybe not kosher , I've been driving since 1969 and have never had a survey about any older car I've owned.
Received the CARB survey and another person said that they want to know your usage, storage and what you do with the fuel if you don't drive often on pre-1978 vehicles for study info, any info on these surveys. If not allowed, would appreciate a Mod letting me know that's the case,

View attachment 1716121473
Someone probably posted a nasty, political response that got it moved. This CARB letter looks like a meer request for information. I would not fill it out.
Yea-Probably about your idiot governor.
Yep. there were 2 and both got moved to the News and Politics forum. The one on FBBO got moved as well.

Without seeing the questions it is all just speculation. DMV could tell them how many vintage cars are registered and not non-op, I'd say that 95% of the registered vintage cars are driven and not projects.

Alan
It's not speculation. They do this periodically to update various emission inventories that they develop and maintain. They've done it for off-road equipment in various industries, HD on-road trucks, etc.

It's not speculation. They do this periodically to update various emission inventories that they develop and maintain. They've done it for off-road equipment in various industries, HD on-road trucks, etc.
I don't see the point of this when you have a system in place with the information. With off-road you don't necessarily have registration to work from.

Alan

It's so they can update their on-road emissions inventory model - nothing more, nothing less.
Yes. Everyone should forget about the politics and their personal feelings towards the govt of california and realize that this may actually positively affect them.

A person on another site filled out the survey and the questions were:

What county is the car mostly used in

Approximate odometer reading

Approximate miles put on in a year

How frequently driven (the multiple choices went down from daily, weekly, to once a month, to a few times a year).

Where the car is kept - enclosed garage, car port, out in the open, etc.

What is done with the gas tank if the car isn't going to be used in a while, with multiple choices from "nothing", to draining the gas tank, and various choices involving adding fuel stabilizer.

I don't see the point of this when you have a system in place with the information. With off-road you don't necessarily have registration to work from.

Alan

What system are you referring to? DMV doesn't track usage, frequency, mileage, location, fuel use, etc. - at least not to the extent that these surveys capture. Inventories supplemented by data from these surveys are the systems in place to model a number of parameters from various sources and are used for a multitude of purposes. You can even access some of the data publicly. I posted the link in the other thread.

What system are you referring to? DMV doesn't track usage, frequency, mileage, location, fuel use, etc. - at least not to the extent that these surveys capture. Inventories supplemented by data from these surveys are the systems in place to model a number of parameters from various sources and are used for a multitude of purposes. You can even access some of the data publicly. I posted the link in the other thread.
An inventory is a count of units not usage, Ramcharger360's post was the first post to reference usage. In the multiple threads that have been done none have mentioned usage, that post was the first.

Alan

An inventory is a count of units not usage, Ramcharger360's post was the first post to reference usage. In the multiple threads that have been done none have mentioned usage, that post was the first.

Alan
CARB's emissions inventory is much more than just a unit count. It models emissions from populations of various vehicle types by vehicle model year for a given calendar year, fuel type, season, county, etc. Usage is one of the parameters used by the model to calculate emissions for a particular source category.

Just got a quick reply from Mr. Jiao.
We're from the CARB's on-road emission inventory modeling group and working on refining the California Emission Factor model (EMFAC) characterization for age 45+ vehicle emissions and activities. Because of data limitation, our current model assumes that age 45+ vehicles drive on an average of 3000 miles a year. But we doubt this annual mileage number and would like to collect some first-hand information regarding vehicle usage and storage (relates to evaporative emissions estimation). The results of the survey will be used in research purpose only to update the model, and will not affect your vehicle registration/smog status at all.

Regards,

Wan

Just got a quick reply from Mr. Jiao.
The results of the survey will be used in research purpose only to update the model, and will not affect your vehicle registration/smog status at all.

Regards,

Wan
and I have some ocean front property in Arizona for sale.
Why do they need to "update" their model, if it will not affect the smog status.

and I have some ocean front property in Arizona for sale.
Why do they need to "update" their model, if it will not affect the smog status.
It would show that old vehicles drive less than they estimate, and show a lower emission total from said old cars, that's how I would take it.

It would show that old vehicles drive less than they estimate, and show a lower emission total from said old cars, that's how I would take it.
Devils advocate here. That would be fine, if they would leave things alone. But what if the survey shows the older cars are driven more than they think. Now they would have grounds to "update" the regs to stiffen up the emissions for older vehicles even more. I don't have a dog in this fight, as I do not live in that state, but I do not trust beaurocrats (sp), or politicians.

Devils advocate here. That would be fine, if they would leave things alone. But what if the survey shows the older cars are driven more than they think. Now they would have grounds to "update" the regs to stiffen up the emissions for older vehicles even more. I don't have a dog in this fight, as I do not live in that state, but I do not trust beaurocrats (sp), or politicians.
I understand, but do you drive your old car 3,000 miles each year? And if you have multiple old cars, are they each driven 3,000 miles each year? I'm doubting that the mileage of all old cars in CA is above 3,000ipew per vehicle. I usually have two old rides out each year, and they are generally around 1,500iles each, unless I take out of state trips to car shows, than they may increase. Only on e did I have a car that saw 5,000iles a year for two years straight, but I drive it everywhere and out to Carlisle, that was half the miles for the year in one week.

I don't trust the government/bureaucrats either.

At the present time I am not putting much milage on my "old" cars. Doing some rust repair on my 64 Valiant and have the rear window out. 88 Diplomat has the dash partly removed for a/c repair. 84 D-100 has motor out for reseal and new clutch. So I am stuck driving my piece of crap 2011 Ford Fusion. But when the "old" cars are running, they are the daily drivers, and the Ford is parked.

In NYS, yea I know it’s a not a left coast state, they log the milage during state inspection, scan your reg, yadda yadda. I can’t imagine they don’t in Cali

-
Back