Carburetor help

-

TF360

Reaction score
Need some help from the Pro's. My 360 (Edelbrock 4bbl) has to be primed to start, and when it fires I have to feather the throttle for it to stay running. A while back I noticed rust particles in my clear filter, so I changed the tank and fuel line. I thought it was causing the running problem , but I did not stop. I pulled the fuel line off and turned it over-the pump was pumping. Check for vacuum leaks-nothing there. After I shut the motor down, I opened the primaries and fuel was not spraying down the carb throat. Need some help?

Since you changed the tank & line and have a known good working fuel pump, I’ll assume (?) the fuel line from the pump to carb is good.

As Kim mentioned, the inside is now clogged with garbage. A rebuild kit is now in order. You should have compressed air available to blow out all the passages in the carb. Replace the needle and seats as well as the squirters plunger.

This will consume a little time but the job is easy.
A good book is available. (Below) It has all the Carter models in it. Exploded views and easy to follow instructions.
image.jpg

You change the tank and the line and the filter But ultimately everything ended up in the carburetor and it's in need of cleaning...

You would be surprised the ultra fine rust particles that get through a filter. It turns to sludge/ muck in the bottom of the float bowls.

After you rebuild the carb, if the car sits for a day or two the fuel will evaporate out of the bowls. Takes some turning over to fill them back up to start it. The pump gas now a days is really prone to this.

If it sits for days at a time you can help it out by getting a squirt bottle from a kitchen supply store and filling it with fuel. When you want to start it. Remove the air cleaner and squirt some fuel into the bowls through the vents NOT into the throttle openings. Much more intrusive solution is an electric pump.

The priming trick will solve the long crank-time, but if your Accelerator pump is dead, it will not solve your after-start feathering.
Everytime your bowl evaporates dry, it leaves behind a varnish, which can and does eventually plug up or restrict the jets in the bottom of the fuel wells.And the only way to get it out is to have those passages "boiled out" with a proper carb cleaner. With the tree-hugger-environmentally-friendly chit cleaners on the market today, this often takes overnight to do a good job.
Up here, shell advertises that they put stabilizer in their fuels, to prevent it going bad. Might be true cuz their fuel seems to stay good longer.
I trick I used to use was to let the fuel in the front bowl drip out onto the intake beginning on Sunday evening, and on next Friday, I just filled it with fresh fuel. Voila no more varnish in the jets. ....... But now the intake looks likechit. I don't care, my car is a driver.

-
Back