carburetor I'm not sure kinda at a loss

-

BS67401

Reaction score
How's it goin on in here. Haven't been on in sometime. Thought the accelerater pump was bad so. I rebuilt the carb and still doin what it was kinda at a Lose. It a slant 6 225 1920 holly carb had car runing real good and driveing good. Then start it acting like it needed fuel. Start right up pretty easy smooth idle. But now it dies when I put it in drive or reverse. I move the timing a hair thought that wood work but really didn't do much to help matters. so just put it bck and been messing with carb. It's getting fuel I just don't have any more ideas .Just put new fuel filter on.That didn't help .Any info be greatly appreciated thxs

Last edited:
There's this new thing out. Maybe you've heard of it. It's called punctuation. Makes reading a lot easier. You should try it sometime.

How's it goin on in here haven't been on in sometime well thought the accelerater pump was bad I rebuilt the carb and still doin what it was kinda at a Lose it a slant 6 225 1920 holly carb had car runing real good then drove it and the car was acting like it need fuel start up pretty easy did run pretty good at idle but now it dies when I put it in drive or reverse I move the timing a hair thought that wood work but really didn't do much so just put it bck and been messing with carb it's getting fuel I just don't have aNY idea I just put new fuel filter that didn't help any info be greatly appreciated thxs
Test for fuel pressure & quality, and vacuum leaks(gaskets/hoses/uncapped fittings/PCV not seating/brake booster/HVAC controls), then when was last valve adjustment?
Is it missing/shaking at idle now vs. "did run pretty good at idle", in park/neutral?

It runs good in park and in neutral. I just had the valves done two months ago. Because ot was sticking and bending push rods. I drove it for about a month and everything was working pretty good. I tried to drive it on Easter and got about halfway down the block and it was sputtering on me when I put my foot into the puddle. so I replace the fuel filter thinking maybe it was clogged and that didn't seem to help at all. And then someone suggested maybe it was the accelerator pump so I went ahead and rebuild the carburetor which I could tell is working a lot better than it was. Now it'll start up really good like it did but when I put it in reverse or drive it wants to die.

I checked all the vacuum lines I don't got a brake booster on it. From what I can tell I seem to be getting pretty good fuel pressure. I put a glass fuel filter on it and it seems to be staying pretty steady I really considered on buying an electric fuel pump but I don't know about doin that or not. Thanks for any info

I
Edit it was pretty tired last night sorry bout that .....

Without knowing any history on this car, including the year, the first thing I'd do is start with the basics. A GOOD basic tuneup including compression test, spark plugs and wires, good cap and ignition parts. Only until those things are verified would I think about replacing or adding a fuel pump.

I
Edit it was pretty tired last night sorry bout that .....
Lol, all good, it's RRR's "official" function to bust balls.......helps wake up the tired! That was just a check-list of possible leak sources, not knowing what we're working on
model/option/equipment-wise, so check what Ya got. Fuel quality probably out if she starts easy & idles fine, 1920's can have power enrichment issues in the metering
block when crud or corrosion builds up in them, sometimes impossible to correct by normal means & rebuilding. I suffered w/one of those once. What was the cause
of the bent pushrods, stuck valves, adjusters came loose & jammed 'em? What is the idle speed, is the mechanical & vacuum working properly? Dwell OK & steady?

Been busy..Got the Head honed valves where sticking.Just enough to bend the pushrod.there was some corrosion build up in the carb tis last time I messed with the carb. As far as the mechanical I can't see anythang out of ordinary. Ive looked over the vacuum I can't find a leak . I'm not sure of the idle speed . Sorry for asking dwell ? I have sewell on machine I work on at work but not sure. Thanks for information this carb has been head ack. Really been lookin at clifford performance fuel injection set up at this point. Just gotta save up for it .

It's a 1970 Dodge Dart spark plugs and wires ill grab some new one ive chk all the plugs and wires .Good cap and ignition its got up for patonics system on it that's not very old took out the point awhile back. Thxs for all the information and advice. When I get some time I'm goin mess with it some more.

Your engine does not have enough torque to drive the TC/front pump.
This could be on the engine side, or it could be on the tranny side.
I'll go with engine for now.
A dramatic loss in idle torque, that cannot be overcome with the curb idle screw, is usually traceable to;
1)compression and or valve lash
2) ignition timing, or mixed up plug wires
3) A vacuum leak or an issue in the low-speed circuit in the carb
4) the fuel; age, contamination, and wet-fuel level
5) a plugged exhaust
6) bad cam timing.
So start at the top and work your way down.
A tach and vacuum gauge can help you diagnose this.
When checking the valve lash, use the narrowest feelers you can find, cuz the rocker arms tend to get banged out by the valve stems and a regular feeler will straddle the rut and give a false reading.You may have to cut your feelers narrow enough to fit in there. My slanty likes .013intake/.023exhaust at room temperature.

Now, I saw some questions asked in earlier posts;
Whitepunk asked;Any response when you adjust the idle mixture screw?
Killer6 asked when was last valve adjustment?
Is it missing/shaking at idle now vs. "did run pretty good at idle", in park/neutral?
What is the idle speed, is the mechanical & vacuum working properly? Dwell OK & steady?

Been busy..Got the Head honed valves where sticking.Just enough to bend the pushrod.there was some corrosion build up in the carb tis last time I messed with the carb. As far as the mechanical I can't see anythang out of ordinary. Ive looked over the vacuum I can't find a leak . I'm not sure of the idle speed . Sorry for asking dwell ? I have sewell on machine I work on at work but not sure. Thanks for information this carb has been head ack. Really been lookin at clifford performance fuel injection set up at this point. Just gotta save up for it .
Dwell is adjusted w/the points gap, it is the "ON" time the coil is being saturated in degrees,....a non issue for You as You've got a pertronix conversion. The mechanical & vac
I referred to was spark advance functions, are the weights moving freely/springs intact, vac hooked to correct port/moving the advance plate?

I went thru 4 rebuilt Holley 1920's before I finally got one that made the car idle perfectly. All the others were as you describe, stumbling in D, but ran OK once going. That was over 20 yrs, trying many things like valve jobs, finally a whole new long block. No mechanic could diagnose. The 1920 has a sealed metering block which doesn't get rebuilt and often becomes clogged. One guy here said he knows how to blow them clean from one of the base hole, using shop air.

I'm sorry you got busted by the Grammar Policeman. You notice his only action was to criticize you, NOT help you. And btw...living in Alabama, I've been through Georgia many times and it is far from being the bastion of correct spelling and punctuation.

Anyway...I've also dealt with those 1920 carbs for 25 years and they're fine if you want a challenge or want something you ultimately throw against the wall in frustration. Somewhere in the world there is a Holley 1920 that runs perfectly and doesn't leak, but I don't think it's ever been discovered.

My solution was to start running Holley 1945's, and if you choose a later version, they run very well with little maintenance needed. Nice center-hung brass floats and no gaskets below fuel-level.

There's this new thing out. Maybe you've heard of it. It's called punctuation. Makes reading a lot easier. You should try it sometime.
As long as you've been here(though not as long as I have) and you still feel the need to make smart-a** comments like this. What's wrong with you? Grown-ups on forums are supposed to welcome new people, not beat them over the head verbally with their cane. You're doing a very, very bad job of it. Improve.

You guys are all awsome. I'm on vacation with the family fishing and doing home repairs .Im hopeing I will get some time next week I'm off as well to mess with it. I will let everone knw what I find out as soon as I can guys thxs agin. I do have a different Holly I have try to hook up befour not had much luck with talk to everone soon..

-
Back