Carburetor

-
Reaction score
OK you purveyors of all knowledge. I am befuddled! My 1964 Barracuda (273) has been down for the count for three and a half years. (At the body man's place) Prior to going, she ran like a champ. Now that she's back; after changing the oil to get the oil back to the top of the engine, I actually expected her to start right up! After hooking up the battery, giving juice to the coil, creating a fuel supply she cranked and gave me nothing. (By the way this is exactly how she was hooked up to run before she left) By the way the engine compartment had already been painted so the engine was not touched. After cranking for a while to no avail I noticed the gas odor. As it turned out the carburetor is leaking fuel. Not only is it leaking between the carb. base to manifold, but at all the spots on the sides where cams or rods of sorts come out. The carburetor is a Carter AFB Competition Series four barrel (I believe 600 if I remember correctly) 9503S-2424. What happened?

Frustrated,
Dave

The gas (If not fresh) turned to varnishing gunk and is now useless. The seals on the sides gave way and it is now time to rebuild the carb end to end.
The floats also may have taken on fuel and now could be acting like a sinking (Sunk) ship.
Empty the gas tank. Replae all fuel lines.

Additive or bad fuel can eat away at those gaskets after that long. Do you have a picture you can pinpoint where the leaks are?

could just be stuck floats, I had a 650 that I took off and swapped with a 750 for three weeks and when I put the 650 back on I had fuel everywhere, same thing as you describe. Took the carb back off and gave it a few good shakes until I heard the floats moving and reinstalled it with no issues. I know it's been alot longer than 3wks for you but, give it a shot and see what happens before you tear into it.

A little late now, but ya should have put Sta-Bil in the gas. It keeps it fresh, I use it Religously on my Boat.

3 1/2 years sitting w/ same gas would do it forsure...I agree with everyone else. Clear the tank and lines, pull that carb and check everything then re-fill and I bet she fires right up! It takes more than a little bad gas to keep 'em down! At least you know it's turning over and not siezed up.

Stupid question, but did you change the plugs? Ballast resistor? (If they had one in 64 :scratch:) Check your grounds? Just food for thought. You know it's getting fuel from the gas issues, know it should be just a spark issue.

Let us know how it turns out! :thumbup:

the float needle is stuck open and flooding the bowl. Sometimes just turning the line fittings corrects it. My 68 has done the same a couple times over the years.

Thanks to all who responded!!
The gas tank is not on the vehicle. For now the "tank" is a 2 1/2 gallon gas can with fresh fuel. I ran a temporary line from the fuel pump just to start her up. I miss the rumble. However, I do believe I'll get the rebuild kit and just avoid the future hassle of not.

Dave

-
Back