cardboard mock up of interior trunk panels. 67 notchback.

-

cudaspaz

Reaction score
Made some cardboard mock up panels and cut some scrap carpet to get ready to start on the trunk interior.

I painted the carboard panels black to help me get a feel for what it would turn out like.

I am going to use Lauan board and glue carpet pyle to that and attach the panels to fabbed up metal bracing with velcro so i can remove them easily to get to the stuff I'm going to hide behind them.

The drivers side can fit two oil six packs full of spare parts and detail supplies nice and snug.

I took a couple pics without the flash to give an idea of how it will look all fit and finished, but I am going to spray some rattle can flat black behind the panels to get rid of the orange popping through the cracks.

I still have some tweaking to do to a few spots but it should turn out pretty sweet.

trunk11-1.jpg

trunk10.jpg

trunk4.jpg

trunk13-1.jpg

trunk14-1.jpg

trunk9.jpg

trunk8.jpg

that looks great. Hey,whats the purpose of the filter in the vent line?

Lookin' good John!

Very neat.

Thanks, I never did this before but it should turn out pretty nice.
I'm gonna try to find some of those fuzzies to go where the trunk hinges go at the portions I cut out to give it a cleaner look.

I may even use a heavier board than the lauan now that I think about it.

Anyone know where I can find that cat whisker "fuzzy" material that they use in the trunk hinge pivot areas?

I have been searching upholstery supply places on the web and can't find anything remotely close to that.

They look like very soft, long comb bristles on each side with a slot in the middle where the hinge goes.

Instead of the fuzzies you may want to put the carpet all the way across the backer board including covering the opening for the hinge and cut slits where the hinge folds into the trunk...that's similar to how I did mine and I was going the fuzzies route myself before I tried it.

You've probably seen them but here they are anyway.

Good luck to you.

Mop

View attachment 100_3203.jpg

View attachment 100_3211.jpg

Instead of the fuzzies you may want to put the carpet all the way across the backer board including covering the opening for the hinge and cut slits where the hinge folds into the trunk...that's similar to how I did mine and I was going the fuzzies route myself before I tried it.

Good luck to you.

Mop

Oh , yeah, that looks pretty sweet, but I have to keep it back further because of the fuel cell location.

I like the fishies in the side panels.

Good luck to you.

Mop

wow just wow

That looks good Mop!

Very, very nice. What have you got under the wheel well carpet? Looks
like a solid piece.

The wheel well is a storage space for air....no spare....just a cell phone and a few phone numbers for tow companies.

It is a solid piece of wood and it sits about 2" above the old trunk floor.
The board sits on the ledges just inside the trunk at the opening and on angle iron at the back or where the hinges for the pass through door are.

Oh , yeah, that looks pretty sweet, but I have to keep it back further because of the fuel cell location.

I like the fishies in the side panels.

Thanks...the trunks on FB and NB are different for sure. Seems like the notch has way more space inside the trunk. Any level of finish is better than what the factory left....the trunks look unfinished without something in there....at least I felt that way. Especially compared to modern car trunks.:-D

Mop

My trunk can hold footballs, eggs, and maybe a small emergency tire...

Anything oval or smaller than a standard tire. :toothy10:

Mop

Attachments

• 100_0304.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 289
yeah, I could put alot of stuff up to the rear seat but I wanted to finish it off nice and cozy behind the fuel cell, but I will have plenty of room to hide things behind that panel.

I am most likely going to weld a bracket behind that panel to hold a small spare tire and jack, but I want that stuff to be hidden.

Hidden is the purpose for sure...I have all my air ride stuff on the left and my battery....and room for a second battery on the right.

The end result is to have a clean trunk right?8)

Mop

Attachments

• 100_2241.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 284
great idea to see what a dream will look like before spending all the cash

-
Back