Carpet install help

-

harrytoes

Reaction score
I got new cargo area carpet for my 68 fastback. Looking for some tips with the install. What's the best technique for the install?

The side wheel covers did not have carpet but I wanna put it on there. Do I use the L shaped trim? Does a bit of carpet go under it?

Does the carpet go under the piano hinge?

20190606_180501.jpg

20190606_180538.jpg

Yes and yes. The carpet goes under the trim a bit, and also under the hinge, that helps keep them in place. On the side panels, they used contact cement, which you can use the 3M spray on adhesive. Spray it on both the panel and the back of the carpet, wait a few minutes for it to tack up, then press them together. Putting the carpet in the sun for a few before you start working with it will make it easier to work with.

For the cargo area I would suggest to pre fit the rug . Trim as necessary, and clamp it so the sides are bent over (i did this on a sunny day) and leave for a while. I then used some 3M adhesive to glue the edges over and this worked really well. As far as the rug going under the hinge, I did install the it under the hinge so that i could keep some tension on the rug. If you purchased an ACC carpet kit, they say the picture shows the direction of which way to lay the rug (fwd and back). Take your time and most important is to allow the rugs to lay out in the sun.

Yes and yes. The carpet goes under the trim a bit, and also under the hinge, that helps keep them in place. On the side panels, they used contact cement, which you can use the 3M spray on adhesive. Spray it on both the panel and the back of the carpet, wait a few minutes for it to tack up, then press them together. Putting the carpet in the sun for a few before you start working with it will make it easier to work with.

So I guess i need to have them in the car then because of the screw holes behind the trim?? Install then put carpet on?

-
Back