Carpet Install Questions

-

shovhd

Reaction score
Never put in a carpet before. Anything I should know? Do I have to put in some sound proofing? If so, what kind? Do you glue it down?

Thanks

Nigel

Do you have the carpet allready? Most come prformed and ready to install. All that you should need to do is trime here and there. You should not need glue the moldings hold it in place. You dont need Sound proofing but is is nice to have, Mite be a little loud with out it.

Thanks for the reply. I have the performed carpet from Dante's. The old carpet was already out when I bought the car though, so I'm not sure how it was put in. What kind of sound deadener? Cheap is good. I thought I read a thread about some from Home Depot????

I cant healp you with the sound deadener. My car has none anywhere and it is loud. I recomend it though unless you can take the noise that is.

One thing that works with seat recovering is to leave the covers out in the sun. Getting them good and warm helps them stretch and the wrinkles come out better. Works for carpet too. Holes for seats and belts can be made with a soldering iron from under the car. Makes a nice clean hole!

Thanks. Soldering iron is a good tip. Have to wait a while to leave the carpet out in the sun though. Only about 50*F here.

At Home Depot or LOWE'S, look for some of the home insulation that looks like bubble wrap lined with foil on both sides. It comes in 24" or 36" wide rolls and about 10' long. We used it to line the roof, floor, and fire wall (inside) on my son's Dart Sport. For seams get some of the aluminum tape like used on A/C ductwork. Use 3M spray adhesive for the roof, nothing on the floor and firewall. Works as a heat barrier as well as a sound deadener.

Jerry

Home Depot used to have some stuff for insulating water heaters that is the same as the sound/heat insulation blankets that JC Whitney sells. It's a 1/4" thick padding sort of stuff with a foil facing on one side. Supposed to be mold/mildew resistant. It's sold as a kit to insulate hot water heaters & comes in a 4' by 6' sheet (IIRC) along with some aluminized tape. Last time I looked I think it was around $20 for the kit. I haven't looked for it lately but I imagine they'd still carry it. Whitney gets about $25 for the insulation alone without any tape. The soldering iron trick is good too. Keeps the carpet from unraveling where you put the hole.

Thanks, guess I'll be going to Home Depot tomorow. LOL ... my wife will think I'm finally going to fix some things around the house.

Take all of the seats out of the car, unbox the carpet and lay it in position. Let it sit for a few days so the wrinkles from the box will relax. A warm environment helps immensely. Be very certain that it is where it needs to be before you do any trimming. Take your time and it will not be difficult at all.

Oh, this is an excellent time to run speaker wire, etc.

If the original carpet is gone I'll bet the original insulation padding is gone too.
You'll need to put that in first. Cut approx. 2 inch square opeenings where bolts go like factory did.
Never use a drill on carpet.

If the original carpet is gone I'll bet the original insulation padding is gone too.
You'll need to put that in first. Cut approx. 2 inch square opeenings where bolts go like factory did.
Never use a drill on carpet.

Do you mean cut 2" openings in the carpet? or just the padding? Could you just use a soldering iron on the padding and the carpet?

I just used a soldering iron to poke the holes in the carpet for the seats and seat-belts. Worked great, not sure what method is correct, but who is going to see it anyways when the seats are in.

Yeah the larger openings in the insulation is for 2 reasons. The stuff may move around a little as the carpet goes in and too much material under seat and seatbelt hadware prevents those from bolting down tight and proper.

Believe it it not i left my carpet on a heated floor and left it out in the sun..... still has wrinkles.
Brought my seats in to have a proper upholster to install new seat covers and and we happen to talk about my carpet issue.
His solution he said "steam"....he uses it every time he has a wrinkle issue.
Havent tried it yet carpets still sitting in the sun lol.... but i guess it makes sense.

A follow up... if you put insulating material down first, won't that mess up the way your pre-molded carpet fits?

A follow up... if you put insulating material down first, won't that mess up the way your pre-molded carpet fits?

Nope, didn't affect mine

Attachments

• DSCF2515 (Medium).jpg
    129 KB · Views: 244
  • DSCF2517 (Medium).jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCF2519 (Medium).jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 259
So, Tony, are the pre-molded carpets not necessarily one piece? Yours looks like there are two pieces; am I seeing that right? Is there a reason for that?

Also, what type of insulation did you use there?

So, Tony, are the pre-molded carpets not necessarily one piece? Yours looks like there are two pieces; am I seeing that right? Is there a reason for that?

Also, what type of insulation did you use there?

1 pc for the front
1 pc for the rear
+ all of the rear area for the fastback.

I gotta believe that the factory was at least 2 pc's also. My 'Cuda
had no carpet when I got it, so some folks with orig. rugs might
chime in here.

The insulation was Hush Mat

Here's all of the carpet spread out on the floor.

The front piece is "finished" on the rear edge as it lays on top
of the rear piece.

Attachments

• DSCF1855 (Medium).jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 225
  • DSCF1856 (Medium).jpg
    107 KB · Views: 241
-
Back