Carter 2BBL carb- I am stuck

-
Finally. You seem to assume that you know more than me about carbs, and that may in fact be the case.
Was this comment aimed at me??? If I even implied that, it was not what I meant.
I will be the first to say that I am very unfamiliar with carbs

I found no leakage thru the bottom of the carb anymore than a drop or two. I put it back on and will run the car and then see what the temp of the carb bowl are.

As I think back, It has only been the last week or two, since the temps have been in the mid teens (over 100° teens) that it emptied over night. before it took a day or so to empty.
I am going to investigate the evaporation scenario

Regarding the check valves on the pump. I eliminated that possibility by placing a check valve on the fuel line a few inches from the carb

The check valve depending on type may work better in a position where it has a column of fuel above it.

no my peeve was not aimed at you, but thanks for the reality check.
With 5 strikes against the vacuum leak, and guys still talking about it, its just ;lets move on already. And you are right about the PCV leak. I use that to my advantage in tuning.
And you're also right about ambient temps here in Manitoba, To which I have often tied my responses.
But I'm just so very eager to get that carb off, and finally get a yeah or a nay, so that at least I can move forward.

I just had an idea. I put the carb back on the car a couple hours ago. I ran it for a minute or two to make sure I did not forget anything.
It probably is cooled down to a reasonable temp now, so in a couple hours (to make sure it is cool) I will turn on the pump to refill the bowl. Then I will recheck it tomorrow.
If it is still full or close to full, I eliminate the leak theory and I think I can then assume that putting the car away hot, especially here either boiled out the fuel or caused it to evaporate

What do you think of that???

Last night I measured the temp on the air filter can and it was 150° F. I looked up the boiling point of gasoline and it says 100° - 400° F. So I guess it boiling out is within the realm of possibilities

I am pretty sure I found the problem. I would feel like a total idiot, if I had claimed to be an expert, especially regarding carbs.

Yes the fuel level dropped over night, but only just barely. The reason the carb did not work in the morning, is I thought I set the floats correctly, but apparently I did not. The floats only allowed a very small amount of fuel in the bowl, so any evaporation was too much.
I adjusted the floats to allow a decent amount of fuel in the bowl.

I am just finishing putting the carb back together, but have to take a break from the 100+°s in the garage.

I plead ignorance when it comes to carbs. Actually, I never said any different.
Thank you all for your feedback

The floats actually have a specification. I don't know what it is. You might try an online search using your carburetor number.

I used the gauge that came in the rebuild kit and specs I saw online. But the fuel in the bowl was practically empty. So I set it to what I thought looked good.

The bowl is about 50-60% full.

I know I am guessing and not necessarily an educated guess. I can always readjust it later

Ok, I just went out and relooked at the adjustment I made. If memory serves, the instructions I saw said to hold the carb upside down and measurer how far the floats were from the top of the carb, I think it said 1/4". I just went and checked the level in the carb, but not held upside down and the floats are just about where I set them upside down (give or take a couple 16th of an inch)

Ed, a lot of times on those kits, exactly WHERE to measure on the floats is very unclear. Especially nowadays, because the instructions have been printed and reprinted many times. So messin around with it like you're doing will probably find right where you need to be.

Thanx I appreciate it. Let me know when the carb is ready, If I have not got one yet, I will yours

Oh, I thought you said last you wanted a 1405. They are the same exact carburetor, except the 1406 which I have is an electric choke.

I never use the paper gauge or anything more than eyeball. With upside down, top of float parallel with casting / lid of the bowl if you will.

Interesting,, I just now found this in the Edelbrock literature

DUDE, WHERE'S MY FUEL?
One very popular question that comes through the tech lines is, “all of the
fuel has mysteriously disappeared from my carburetor; where did it go”?
Of course most consumers think the worst, there is a leak in the carb; the
casting is absorbing it; it is draining into my intake manifold; it's draining
back to the fuel tank; a gnome is stealing it at night. The real truth to this
mystery starts the moment you shut off your hot engine.
Heat soak is a term associated with the heat of the engine rising through
the manifold, much like a chimney, and into the fuel bowls of your carburetor. Due to the blend of today's fuels, they are prone to vaporizing under heat and this is exactly what is happening to your fuel---vaporization.

Oh and Ed, I have two carburetors I have to assemble first, so that may slow me down a little.

Fuel can vaporize in the bowl while the engine idles hot too. If it makes too much vapor backpressure the vapor will go backward into the fuel filter rather than liquid fuel from the pump going forward. The engine goes very lean while receiving mostly vapor until its used up, then fuel start filling the filter and bowl again.
There is a bowl vent and a charcoal canister for those vapors to go to in most cases but not all. In any case the bowl vent most be open. My observations suggest the size of the bowl vent isn't adequate in some cases.
Experiments in heating fuels are too hazardous for the grand daughters science project.

I can not find an answer to my question anywhere.

Is this manifold a square bore OR a spread bore?

I need to know if I need an adapter.

Attachments

• intake manifold.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 88
The float level for 1971 Carter BBD is 1/4" measured from the lip of the float bowl to the crown(highest point) of each float.

I know it says to invert the carb yadda yadda but you don't have to. Light push the float arm against the needle valve and take your measurement.

Luckily I keep my spec sheets from every carb I rebuild and I did one of those a few years ago for my other Valiant.

The float level for 1971 Carter BBD is 1/4" measured from the lip of the float bowl to the crown(highest point) of each float.

I know it says to invert the carb yadda yadda but you don't have to. Light push the float arm against the needle valve and take your measurement.

Luckily I keep my spec sheets from every carb I rebuild and I did one of those a few years ago for my other Valiant.

I am pretty sure that is what I said

-
Back