CARTER AVS Questions

-

Hyper_pak

Old School Chrysler Fan
Reaction score
I am getting educated on the AVS.
Some Edelbrock parts seem to be usable.
Springs and main jets for sure.
However my AVS, 68 340, 4425S, has tall secondary jets.
And it has 3 stage metering rods.
Anyone have any detail part numbers info on the Carter AVS.
And does anyone have any AVS jets or metering rods to sell?
Do I have to use tall jets in the secondary?
My jets are marked 489-489 in the secondary.
I think the 489-489 is a .089 jet.

I am getting educated on the AVS.
Some Edelbrock parts seem to be usable.
Springs and main jets for sure.
However my AVS, 68 340, 4425S, has tall secondary jets.
And it has 3 stage metering rods.
Anyone have any detail part numbers info on the Carter AVS.
And does anyone have any AVS jets or metering rods to sell?
Do I have to use tall jets in the secondary?
My jets are marked 489-489 in the secondary.
I think the 489-489 is a .089 jet.
Your correct in the jet size guess.
There should be no problem in swapping in the Edelbrock parts. Use the 2 step rods with the shorter Edelbrock jets. The “Vannth” guide has a listing of the OE rods and jets and there sizes for the OE AFB & AVS as well as the TQ’s.

I’ll have to dig up what AVS parts I still have & let you know.

Thanks, I don't want to even look at TQ stuff, too confusing at this point!
Why do GM and the new Edelbrock Metering Rods have 2 steps vs. the Mopar 3 steps?
And today, getting some jets out of parts carbs I have even more Part Numbers.
I took jets out of a couple of carbs with 120-194 part numbering.
I think I can use standard jets in place of the "tall jets", not 100% sure yet.

Why do GM and the new Edelbrock Metering Rods have 2 steps vs. the Mopar 3 steps?
The three step is improved emissions, power and smoothness. You can get an amazing fuel curve out of one of those three step rod set ups. But you might pull all of your hair out in the attempt.
And today, getting some jets out of parts carbs I have even more Part Numbers.
I took jets out of a couple of carbs with 120-194 part numbering.
I think I can use standard jets in place of the "tall jets", not 100% sure yet.
Again - yes you can. BTDT & even adds an Edelbrock electric choke.

Two step rods and the short jets were used in the AFB carbs. If you go to two step rods you have to change to the flat top rod covers.

Most Chryslers used 3 step rods and jets with the raised piston cap on AFB and AVS. Always try running an AVS as is first. Secondary jets are the same as used up to today. You can use the standard 2 step jets and rods with the flat piston caps. But why? 3 steps are finer and these carbs are tailored to a specific MOPAR engine and trans combination. I've run them on 289 Fords to 383 MOPAR and they run flawless. Maybe adjust the secondary air valve to remove any bog.

Love me an AVS! An old boss of mine, Bobby L. (GOD rest his MoPar soul) lended me an 630 AVS when the base plate of 600 Holley DP broke. Way back when…. Holley wanted $199 for the base plate and a new carb was $210.

Awesome carb.

Most Chryslers used 3 step rods and jets with the raised piston cap on AFB and AVS. Always try running an AVS as is first. Secondary jets are the same as used up to today. You can use the standard 2 step jets and rods with the flat piston caps. But why? 3 steps are finer and these carbs are tailored to a specific MOPAR engine and trans combination. I've run them on 289 Fords to 383 MOPAR and they run flawless. Maybe adjust the secondary air valve to remove any bog.
The main reason why you would charge to two step rods is that Edelbrock still makes Strip Kits for the AFB. Does anyone know what rods are being used in the AVS2?

The 2 step rods are what are being sold today.
I was looking for a chart and a source for 3 step rods.
I have maybe 3 sets of 3 steps.
I really need to buy some small drill bits to measure some of the jets I have.
The numbers on some can not be read.
Looks like the spring set can be purchased separate.
Steve Dulcich did a small AVS story, but it's not real detailed.

The main reason why you would charge to two step rods is that Edelbrock still makes Strip Kits for the AFB. Does anyone know what rods are being used in the AVS2?
AVS / AVS 2 carbs are using the 2 step rods.
:thumbsup:

A friend of mine had a 351C Ford pick up, daily driver, suffered a bad dose of Holleyitis.
Put a 625 Mopar AVS on it & drove it for many, many years without issue.

Nice! They are very reliable carbs. Jet it, set it, forget it.
Clean the air bleeds out every once in a blue is the biggest thing I have ever had to do to them. They just keep on just plan ol’workin.

Old school Chrysler guys know this very well. Brand GM & F guys don’t really know this. Carters we’re not used very often on there engines.

So far I have located 5 different 3 step rods.
16-160
16-161
16-165
16-176
16-216
I have been using my micrometer, but I am sure I have some scatter in my measurements. I read that Carter held them to .0002 during manufacture.
I am still looking for a chart with the rod info if anyone has something.

So far I have located 5 different 3 step rods.
16-160
16-161
16-165
16-176
16-216
I have been using my micrometer, but I am sure I have some scatter in my measurements. I read that Carter held them to .0002 during manufacture.
I am still looking for a chart with the rod info if anyone has something.

I'll look. I know I have it, but where?

That will be a lot of help!
I pulled this from the 1970 Plymouth FSM.
Both AVS and AFB use a new 2 step metering rods!
I posted the AFB section because the paragraph was easy to copy, but both are the same.
AVS 1970 Manual (1).JPG
AVS 1970 Manual (2).JPG

-
Back