CARTER AVS Questions

-
Those are 3 step, not two step. Maybe you meant to say that? The pic is poor, but looks like it is missing the 3rd step.

No, he is right, the AVS did use two step metering rods sometimes. The older versions used them.

I have never seen 2 step rods on a MOPAR AFB or AVS, maybe some ultra HP engine. If it has the raised hat piston cover, it has the 3 step rods and high primary jets.

Yes, that is the point I was trying to make!
2 step rods on both the Hemi AFB's and the AVS on the wedges.
1970 Plymouth FSM.
So we can't say that the 3 step is used in all the applications.
All my rods are the same length.
4 have bends at the top, 2 are gentle bends.
AVS Rods (2).JPG

Yes, that is the point I was trying to make!
2 step rods on both the Hemi AFB's and the AVS on the wedges.
1970 Plymouth FSM.
So we can't say that the 3 step is used in all the applications.
All my rods are the same length.
4 have bends at the top, 2 are gentle bends...

I have over 50 AFB's and AVS carbs, not counting those I have sold, from 1961 to 1971 and they all have 3 step rods, from 273 to 440. What do you mean by AVS's on the wedges?

I have over 50 AFB's and AVS carbs, not counting those I have sold, from 1961 to 1971 and they all have 3 step rods, from 273 to 440. What do you mean by AVS's on the wedges?

340, 383, 440.

You don't believe the factory service manual pictures I posted?
I don't have any original 1970 carbs and never had to look at.
But both Hemi and Wedges show a new changed design in the 1970 FSM.

I am trying to tune an AVS on a drag motor with a big cam.

You don't believe the factory service manual pictures I posted?
I don't have any original 1970 carbs and never had to look at.
But both Hemi and Wedges show a new changed design in the 1970 FSM.

I am trying to tune an AVS on a drag motor with a big cam.

No, I have the carbs and a strip kit.

You can use the 2 step system, especially for a race car where fine fuel management throughout the operating conditions is not critical, ie just idle and WOT. I do not know what Stock Class racers do to run the AVS. I have flat piston caps I'll send you if you want to go that route. I feel it is inferior so I do not use the 2 step system. As a matter of fact I'll trade all my 2 step stuff for your 3 step stuff.

Last edited:
Found this today in the 1967 Dodge FSM.
Called 2 step pistons with 3 step rod.
Domed covers.
AFB carb.
AFB 1967 FSM (1).JPG
AFB 1967 FSM (2).JPG

From the chart, your 4425s should have 489 primary (high) jets and 389 (low) jets, both .089 ID. Rods should be 16-176 .067-.065-.055 diameters. Is that what you have?
Not to sure I have that carb.

I really Need to Find some 3 step rods for my Edelbrock 500 AFB - it is great on the power, and great on the Lean(fat Part of the rod) but it does need a transition between the 2.. I have dickered around with all of the step up springs as well. Maybe some lathe time for me will solve it.

Greg

From the chart, your 4425s should have 489 primary (high) jets and 389 (low) jets, both .089 ID. Rods should be 16-176 .067-.065-.055 diameters. Is that what you have?

That is what is in it now. 16-176, and .089 jets.
I think the idle transfer slots need some attention.

-
Back