Carter BBS Slant 170cui idle problems

-
It's hard to see but there's a spring in there pushing against a check ball, the vacuum or lack of vacuum will seat or unseat that ball, that part not adjustable

View attachment 1715708270
Here's a blow-up of Carter's image
taper screw.jpeg

Before I forget removing that cover plug above that screw will not create a vacuum leak

It could be getting too much fuel at hot idle [ too rich ] ...or too lean. Both can cause stalling.

Too rich.
- needle & seat not sealing or leaking.
- wrong float level
- float not 'floating'. Internal leak & it sinks.
- float binding on pivot or something else.

Too lean.
- blockage in idle cct such as accumulation of dirt/sludge

The easiest way to check that it's just block off that external hole with cardboard. Complete disassembly not recommended, I did it to take pictures. That brass cylinder is a press-fit if that screw is snug down to tight whole thing could fall out of there.

The easiest way to check that it's just block off that external hole with cardboard. Complete disassembly not recommended, I did it to take pictures. That brass cylinder is a press-fit if that screw is snug down to tight whole thing could fall out of there.
ridge shot.jpg

If it should fall out wrap some plumbers tape around it and tap it back in there. The tape is visible in the picture.

Last edited:
Your idol orifice tube assembly part number 123 - 88s hole size .033 or close 0.85mm second colum by red dot

Last edited:
carter manual my apologies about multiple images being the same

Last edited:
Black Arrow Is idle down channel to idle screw red lines are hidden cross-channel, at the end of red lines next to idle to that black line is where the restrictor is. The blue is where the adjustable idle air bleed feeds to the idle circuit

That drill bit follows the cross-channel idle circuit that aluminum plug just below the drill bit is the cleanout plug

alum clean ouy plug.jpg

Here's the last page of that Carter idle circuit description where that red X is that does not apply to your car that's strictly 1968

-
Back