Carter fuel pump bad out of box?

-

Siksty7 Dart 270

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Breaking in my new engine on a proven good fuel tank (running my slant 6 perfectly just days before) I experienced a fuel starvation issue after going a mile down the road several times, with no fuel squirt when looking down the carb. I let it sit for 5 minutes fires back up, down the road we go and it does it again. I put a fuel pressure gauge on and I get a little over 5 psi at idle. If I hold 2500 RPM, pressure bounces and then drops to to near zero in about a minute. This is on a cold engine with the hood open, so I feel that vapor lock is not a factor. Pump is a brand new Carter Muscle Car for small block mopar PN6866. Edelbrock 1405, Edelbrock dual plane airgap, Magnum 318 .030 over. New Edelbrock metal can style fuel filter kit. 5/16 in and out of pump to 3/8 rubber to filter to gauge to carb. Using Headers in a 67 Dart. Runs great otherwise! Anyone had these pumps be bad out of the box?

Breaking in my new engine on a proven good fuel tank (running my slant 6 perfectly just days before) I experienced a fuel starvation issue after going a mile down the road several times, with no fuel squirt when looking down the carb. I let it sit for 5 minutes fires back up, down the road we go and it does it again. I put a fuel pressure gauge on and I get a little over 5 psi at idle. If I hold 2500 RPM, pressure bounces and then drops to to near zero in about a minute. This is on a cold engine with the hood open, so I feel that vapor lock is not a factor. Pump is a brand new Carter Muscle Car for small block mopar PN6866. Edelbrock 1405, Edelbrock dual plane airgap, Magnum 318 .030 over. New Edelbrock metal can style fuel filter kit. 5/16 in and out of pump to 3/8 rubber to filter to gauge to carb. Using Headers in a 67 Dart. Runs great otherwise! Anyone had these pumps be bad out of the box?
I quit working in the parts business about five years ago,but at that time i wouldn't sell a carter pump. They were hot garbage. No idea how quality has fluctuated since then.

Yeah, I bought one years ago high$ junk. Lasted a week, left me stranded, walked 3 miles home. I replaced with an autozone special cheapo and been motoring ever since, probably over 15 years.

It is man made, so it can be faulty...

Check for leaks in the line from tank to pump.

I've had two of them now. Supposedly you can rotate the housing to a different position on the ones I've used. While the engine is running, both leaked at the diaphram even though the screws were tight. Will never use another one.

I've had two of them now. Supposedly you can rotate the housing to a different position on the ones I've used. While the engine is running, both leaked at the diaphram even though the screws were tight. Will never use another one.
The one I have is their least expensive and is not adjustable like you said. It's a sealed unit. Like @inertia recommended, I removed the gas cap (I have a locking aftermarket) and started over. It still did exactly the same thing as described. The oil appears uncontaminated, thanks for that reminder @GTX JOHN.

Didn't I see something here, or on b-bodies, about counterfeit Carter pumps being sold. Chinese, sold by eBay or Amazon.
If you saved a few bucks by not buying it from a brick and mortar near you.......?

Didn't I see something here, or on b-bodies, about counterfeit Carter pumps being sold. Chinese, sold by eBay or Amazon.
If you saved a few bucks by not buying it from a brick and mortar near you.......?
I bought from trusted source Hughes engines.

It turns out that the fuel pump was fine. I dropped the fuel tank, and pulled the sending unit. I discovered that the pick up screen lacked a stop that allowed it to get sucked against the end of the metal line, thus cutting off the fuel supply. I tested it by holding it against its furthest travel up the line and sending some compressed air down the line and no air would escape, move into proper position and air would escape through the screen. So, I wrapped some stainless wire around the line to keep it from moving too far up the line. Problem solved, running great!

20230624_175745.jpg

20230624_175739.jpg

20230624_175727.jpg

-
Back