Carter fuel pump.

-

synchro66

Reaction score
Just building my 360 from the ground up...came as a box full of parts and I have assembled everything as per the book. I have a query....carter mechanical fuel pump has one port with a thread and the other without. Question: Which port goes to the tank, and which one goes to the Carb
Thanks

Give us a actual picture,or a part number(usually stamped on the bolting to engine block pad,or on the bottom side...)Usually a 4 or 5 digit part number,sometimes a "M"prefix....I would, start there....

Hold the pump in your hand,and push the arm against a workbench or some such stout surface, actuating the arm,while holding a thumb over one of the ports at a time. The one you feel vacuum on is the inlet.

Logically, The outlet line would be under pressure and thus a rigid connection.
But we also know that logic went out the door with fuel filter applications.
So lets just assume the slip on rubber line was for ease of assembly when the engine was dropped in.
Or maybe the rubber line is there because the supply line is on the chassis and the engine moves with torque. All these trains of thought lead to the same station/answer.

I assume we are talking about this style fuel pump and not the street/strip pump (which has two thread ports)

carter-muscle-car-mechanical-fuel-pump-84.gif

If it is this style, then the barbed fitting goes to the fuel tank, and the threaded goes up to the carb. Although like stated above, test it just to be sure. You can also blow thru the pump, you should be able to blow easily through it in one direction and the other direction you should not be able to blow thru it (or at least it will be very hard to). The easy way is the direction of flow, from the tank to the carb.

The above is correct.

And if the OP had one of the Carter street-strip pumps, if the ports are facing outward from the engine, the same arrangement applies: the one to the rear is the inlet.

-
Back