Center Console Trim?

-

72DartGuy

Reaction score
Can someone please post a few pics of a center console with the the trim carpet installed? I’m restoring a center console and have the carpet kit. I can’t find anything to show me how to put it on. Thanks!

I dont have pics handy, but one thing I did was velcro the carpet on. That way I can peel it off if I need to get in under for a bulb change or anything. Not noticeable at all.
Can someone please post a few pics of a center console with the the trim carpet installed? I’m restoring a center console and have the carpet kit. I can’t find anything to show me how to put it on. Thanks!

I dont have pics handy, but one thing I did was velcro the carpet on. That way I can peel it off if I need to get in under for a bulb change or anything. Not noticeable at all.
There ya go, I hadn’t thought of that. I was trying to figure out what the glue was! Thanks!

I figured that, but does the bottom of the carpet follow the bottom of the console, or does it hang an inch or so past it? My kit has a finished end. I’m thinking that goes right under the bottom edge of the console?

I figured that, but does the bottom of the carpet follow the bottom of the console, or does it hang an inch or so past it? My kit has a finished end. I’m thinking that goes right under the bottom edge of the console?
I think the folded end goes against the floor carpet.

We did glue it on with 3M, but it didnt stick that well(poor prep on my part). A few velcro strips and it stays good. Mike, @2darts gave me a good tip using black shoe polish on console body. Works great

20220620_203043.jpg

Unfinished edge goes under the lip on the console body. It hangs low to cover the gaps and blend with the floor carpet.

Thanks guys! I think I’m done painting the console body. I’ll post a few pics later

I don’t know how to make that stuff. I’m a tune up mechanic at best. I’m good at restoring things or digging until I find things. All the stuff going on with my car is me finding expensive parts cheap and taking them to the right people to get repaired. There are a few really good mechanics by me. They all worked on the race circuit down here. I’d be happy to pay you for a harness! I’ve got everything else except an ashtray, lol

Going in a '72? If that's the case all you need is a wire for the shift indicator light and ground. It ties into the dash light circuit.

Going in a '72? If that's the case all you need is a wire for the shift indicator light and ground. It ties into the dash light circuit.
Yes, I have the lighter too though. I’m trying to figure out a way to redo the ashtray area and put USB ports and chargers in it. I already have Nav and satellite radio in her

I was going to ask what is all in the harness? Our 67 fastback has 4 wires, but 2 of those(violet) are for the backup light switch and 1 is black a ground, so that leaves orange for the shift indicator lamp. Heres back pic of my ashtray/dash for your USB ideas. Its a rally dash that I'm redoing. Yours may be a standard dash?
You should be able to make a 1 wire harness lol but if you're stuck I've got some good orange wire and connectors.

Yes, I have the lighter too though. I’m trying to figure out a way to redo the ashtray area and put USB ports and chargers in it. I already have Nav and satellite radio in her

20220706_203233.jpg

20220706_203224.jpg

20220630_085813.jpg

20220706_204136.jpg

20220706_204148.jpg

I was going to ask what is all in the harness? Our 67 fastback has 4 wires, but 2 of those(violet) are for the backup light switch and 1 is black a ground, so that leaves orange for the shift indicator lamp. Heres back pic of my ashtray/dash for your USB ideas. Its a rally dash that I'm redoing. Yours may be a standard dash?
You should be able to make a 1 wire harness lol but if you're stuck I've got some good orange wire and connectors.

View attachment 1715952410

View attachment 1715952411

View attachment 1715952412

View attachment 1715952413

View attachment 1715952414
Wow, yeah, that’s all more than I can do, lol. I think that’s a job best left to Bruce. He’s gonna have a bunch of stuff to wire when he puts my 408 in. I have a B&M floor shifter now, but I’m going to use a Hurst Pro with the console. There must be some wiring in there now

According to the service manual it’s glued on. But Velcro might work if it’s not to thick and looks right at the top chrome plate

I dont have pics handy, but one thing I did was velcro the carpet on.
4spdragtop posted this advise before and I took his advise. What a GREAT SUGGESTION!!! I installed a few other electric goodies inside my console and the linkage is modified for an A500. Whenever I need to work on stuff, I can just peel it off and reinstall it, easy peazy. Getting the carpet to fit right took some CAREFUL trimming at the top of the carpet pieces - it felt kind of hairy, because if you get it wrong, you own it and even though they couldn't provide one that was cut right to start with doesn't mean they will take pity on you if you get it wrong...

DSC04285.JPG

DSC04287.JPG

DSC04288.JPG

DSC04289.JPG

I went to an Ace Hardware and they had wide "industrial/commercial velcro" by the foot. Not cheap but worth it.

I also used velcro on mine, it comes in handy for sure. I need to 're-stick' the piece at the front, the velcro has trouble sticking to the backside of the carpet in that area for some reason. str12-340, that's the cleanest install I have seen of the console carpet. I might take mine back off and trim it a little better to get it to look closer to that!

If you decide to delete that lighter well there is a chrome plug for the hole. A coin in the well is a short circuit which makes it less desirable anyway.

str12 and 4spd, Did you install a continuous strip of velcro or just intermittent sections? How far up or down on the console did you place it? How wide was the velcro and was it relatively thin? I actually had bought some indoor/outdoor carpet tape but think a thin velcro may be a cleaner option, especially with the unwanted fabrication. I bought the console piece from Dante's years ago so it's too late to complain but I think it's Hot Garbage. Absolutely no reason it shouldn't fit well right out of the bag. str, I believe it's similar to yours with the recessed area missing on the driver side so I'll try to copy it as you did. Besides that, Where it should wrap around the back of the console, it win in No Way conform so I imagine I'll have to split it or at least cut a V in to so it seats flat. Did you have to do that? BTW, I love the contrast of colors in that interior.

20231208_122444.jpg

-
Back