Center link hitting oil pan.

-

CRAMAR

Reaction score
Hi.I have a 72 duster.I put a 318 in with schmacher mounts.I kept my slant six torsion bars.I ve had vibration when I take a left curve and I see that the center link is hitting the oil pan.Everthing was new when I did it.The center link for 67 -72 a bodys is the same for /6 and v8.I have superstock rear springs and the car sits high in the back and goes lower in the front.Should I try to find a drop center link or try to raise the front of the car.I sure could use some help here.I ve worked in a mopar parts dept.for quite a while,so When I say the center links are the same I ve checked the parts book.What do I do?

I think you need a different oil pan from what Ive read here, they have one with a notch in it and its a chrysler oil pan, sorry I dont know which one but you can probably do a search of the forum and find it. If not somebody will come along real soon I bet. Its an easy solution but the fix is the had part.

I'm pretty sure the Slant six and V8 have a different center link.I have owned many v8 darts a a few /6 and the links appeared to be different.You also need the center sump oil pan.

from what I understand, the 67-72 center links are different. I know the 73-76 center's are the same though.

I just checked the Schumacher website and its says the V8 center link has a 1 3/4 inch drop in it and the recommend using it in a V8 swap.

Junkyard? I have my 70 link off, had to pull the pan, will post measurements in the am

In the early a the pan has a small dent on the left side for clearance. When I put the 360 in my 66 I just put a dent in it with a hammer for clearance.

Maybe shim up with washers under mounts,might give just enuff clearance for the pan.I swapped my 6 for a 360 in my 66 Dart,I used the schumacher mounts.Mine also rubbed a bit on the pan til I shimmed it.Clears now!

I just checked the Schumacher website and its says the V8 center link has a 1 3/4 inch drop in it and the recommend using it in a V8 swap.

There is no such thing as a V-8 centerlink for 67-76 A-bodies.

There is a change in centerlinks in 1973. But you have to run a different pitman (and steering box) and idler to swap between pre 73 and later.

I had a similar problem, using the same parts as you but with a 360. At the time I didn't know it, but my oil pan was from a c-body, and it had no indentations for clearance. Both sides it was straight. I purchased an MP oil pan, and it fit perfect! It had an indentation right where the dent was in my pan (my center link almost rubbed thru my oil pan). I doubt you have to go with an MP pan with the 318 though, I have noticed many 318 pans with the proper indentation. As a side note, I have never seen a difference in 67-72 centerlinks, be it a small block or slant 6.

Well Guys and gals I raised my torsion bars and I think,More like hope,I should be okay.I still have some room to go if I have to.Don't want to.Thanks for the help,any more idea's feel free.

how are your motor mounts? i have not used the shoemocker (spelling) kit but can it have any adjustment?

-
Back