centerforce clutch problem

-

one bad 440

Reaction score
I installed the centerforce DF clutch in my car and right from backing it out of the bay it had a noticable chatter. I only changed it to get away from the exteme pedal pressure of the finger type that was in it, it had no chatter and had 1400 hard, very hard miles on it. The center force chattered so friggin bad that I couldnt even imagine trying to take off on a hill where I would need to slip it a little. I called them and they went over all the obvious BS that I knew they would pick out and then said to send it back for inspection. It went out UPS to them today, I sure hope they step up and send me a good one this time. I have bought their products in the past and never a problem. Anyone else ever experience this, and did you have any luck getting them to admit fault of product?

There's..........lots...........of.........causes........of..........clutch..........chatter..............

"Several" don't involve the clutch at all.................

There's..........lots...........of.........causes........of..........clutch..........chatter..............

"Several" don't involve the clutch at all.................

Not arguing that point, this is not the first clutch ive done......... been in this biz a long time.......... this is VIOLENT chatter, worst chatter I have ever experienced ever! Got suggestion as to what you think it is? Try me, I'm not perfect and am looking for answers, it is out and on its way back to them, I find nothing other then their product at fault.

How about center springs in the disc? Or are it/ they solid?

I had a noise in my DF clutch after it had less than 200 miles on it. No chatter, but one day backing out of the garage, I noticed a rattling sound as I started to let the pedal out. So I put the car back in the garage and pulled the clutch cover and a ball bearing from one of the pivot "fingers" rolled across the floor. WTF! By now the clutch was out of warranty, time wise, so I thought I might get a hassle on getting a replacement at no charge to me. I took the clutch assembly back to where I bought it and they sent it in to have Centerforce look at it. 2 weeks later I had a new clutch waiting for me to pick up, no charge. So I only say they were fair to me so hopefully you'll get the same customer service.

How about center springs in the disc? Or are it/ they solid?

I did check them and they were tight, no rattle. I went over so many things trying to blame myself and I just cant find anything wrong. I have a DCM flywheel resurfacer and I only use a diamond stone and I set the machine on auto for .004 and it only took .0025 to clean the surface, the machine is so accurate and puts a finish on a wheel that you could not copy manually so I cant blame the wheel.

I had a noise in my DF clutch after it had less than 200 miles on it. No chatter, but one day backing out of the garage, I noticed a rattling sound as I started to let the pedal out. So I put the car back in the garage and pulled the clutch cover and a ball bearing from one of the pivot "fingers" rolled across the floor. WTF! By now the clutch was out of warranty, time wise, so I thought I might get a hassle on getting a replacement at no charge to me. I took the clutch assembly back to where I bought it and they sent it in to have Centerforce look at it. 2 weeks later I had a new clutch waiting for me to pick up, no charge. So I only say they were fair to me so hopefully you'll get the same customer service.

I am keeping my hopes up that they will stand behind their product and send me a replacement, though usually my luck does not go that way...

Centerforce called me on Friday and said they found an issue with the pressure plate, they said it had an uneven apply and was off by .030 so I am hopeing this was the issue though .030 doesnt seem like enough to cause a problem to me but I guess I will be finding out some night this week after work when I clear a bay and get my car back together. I was expecting something far greater then a .030 with as violent as the chatter was. I'll post back as soon as it is back in and road tested.

No issues with mine. I had flywheel turned. Never a chatter or a slip and I drive it hard. Going on 2 years of serious abuse w no issues.

hi, .030 on a clutch is a huge difference. it will chatter!! on a race clutch , we set air gap at .050 departure. If you look up in housing, and depress pedal, you will see the clutch doesn't move very much at all. just food for thought.

The replacement didnt change a thing and they checked it before they sent it to me... I backed it out of the bay and the chatter was still there so I pulled it back in and replaced the trans mount, no difference still. Regardless I am driving it because in a week or 2 it will get put away for the season and I will deal with it next year. Odly enough after 50 mi. it seems to have less chatter, or possibly I am learning to drive around it...

-
Back