Changed my mind

-

Scamper

Reaction score
I have decided to put the 440's that I just bought into the shed for future considerations. I am going to look for a wrecked Durango/Dakota/Ram truck and put the fuel injected 5.9 and trans into my Scamp.I am sure this has been done lots, so any and all info/tips on what I am getting into would be very welcome. BTW I say 5.9 because I think the newer 5.7 hemi is out of my budget. Please share all your info.
Thanks
Don

Sounds like a cool project. The wiring used to be a nightmare, but I think you can buy a kit now. Or you could go carbuerated, and save a lot of hassles, but then you might as well just pick up a 360.

That's a great swap, I would think, with only two areas of concern, as I see it:

1. Although fuel injection is a superior delivery system, there are complications in a swap like this that can be avoided with a carbureted system. Simply replacing all the factory F.I. hardware with a carb and manifold will greatly simplify installation and possibly make more power, if you use the right carb, manifold, fuel pump and lines. Your gas mileage and driveability would probably be better wwith the f.I., but the whole fuel system from the pump forward would need to be changed, and there's the added complexity of acquiring the computer control unit and getting everything wired in correctly. An Edelbrock Air Gap manifold with a Holley 3310, and the addition of an electric fuel pump in the back (not really necessary, if you install 3/8"-lines and a strong mechanical pump) would be so simple... and effective. Your choice...

2. The 4-speed overdrive that comes with these Dakota/Ram Magnum engines is a great transmission, but the overdrive unit in the tailshaft is so big that to get it into an A Body car requires that you modify the floorpan and the rear transmission mount crossmember.

You can avoid that by simply attaching the engine to a 904 or 727, of course, and everything just bolts up like "stock," but, you lose the overdrive, which is a shame.

Again, your choice.

Hope this helps

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

Thanks for the input. I did not know that the I would have to modify my floorpan for the 4 spd auto.The F.I. I was hoping to keep. Are there any kits out there for this swap like the chevy guys have?

I have not bought anything from this site, but I like to look around! I think it is mainly insurance auctions of wrecked cars, trucks and motorcycles:
http://www.ridesafely.com/
Probably get your hemi reasonable...
C

You don't need a "kit" if your original car had a V8. If it had a /6, Schumacher Creative Services sell the adapter-style motor mounts so you don't have to swap out your K-Member.

I'd put a 4bbl on it along with a 904; be good to yourself; you'll have plenty to keep you busy doing it the "easy" way.... LOL!

I know I did...

It was originally a 318 car, but it has a tired 360 and 727 right now

i'll be doin it this winter/spring. you can find good deals. i got a 97 ram with 120k that was in a front end wreck for 500 with a clean title. so deals are out there. just be ready to jump on them when you see them. i had to drive 3hrs to get it but even with fuel included it only cost me 600.

-
Back