Changed steering column

-

Gene Rea

66 barracuda
Reaction score
I have a 66 barracuda and just changed from column shift to floor shift. I got a column from a valiant and installed it. When I plugged in the wire connector nothing works Horn,blinkers etc and when plugged in the tail lights are on when shouldn’t be. Trying to figure out if I can take apart the connector and move around the w ire’s and get it to work. Looks like this column was never played with and turn signal cam and all seem to be working as it. Should. Are the wires different from valiant to barracuda? Not sure the year of this column, but it is the same size and fit in great. Hoping that I can fix this without changing the wires in column. Any help much appreciated.

If everything worked prior...I'd switch-out the harnesses. 2-cents.

If everything worked prior...I'd switch-out the harnesses. 2-cents.
Please explain? What harnesses? All the wires are there, trying to figure out which color wires do what and see if I can just move them around in connector so they match up. Everything did work before just seems the two connectors have wires in different places in connector.

You really need to get your factory service manual, which has all the wiring diagrams in it- they're available for free download over at mymopar.com .
That said, you have the two columns- just compare the two connectors and see if any wires changed position between the two.
My guess? You don't have the column ground wire in place, causing all kinds of weird issues as the circuits backfeed trying to find ground. The wire goes from the column housing to the metal dash or brake bracket, bridging the column bracket and insulator.

zWj0VtbgHaFP?w=277&h=196&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.jpg

You really need to get your factory service manual, which has all the wiring diagrams in it- they're available for free download over at mymopar.com .
That said, you have the two columns- just compare the two connectors and see if any wires changed position between the two.
My guess? You don't have the column ground wire in place, causing all kinds of weird issues as the circuits backfeed trying to find ground. The wire goes from the column housing to the metal dash or brake bracket, bridging the column bracket and insulator.

View attachment 1716059236
Thanks appreciate your input. I think I figured it out. The brake lights were on because the peddle had too much play in it so that’s why the lights were on and I’m pretty sure the horn relay was bad. Checked the wires and they are all good. I was frustrated and thinking the worst.

I do have one other issu I haven’t figured out. The turn signal lights on the top of fenders I haven’t been able to get working. Changed the bulbs a while back and nothing doing? Im not an electrical guy but I think it is a grounding problem with them.

'63-6 used the same turn signal switch, so the wiring remained the same over those years. The turn signal indicators on the top of the fenders use a Y pigtail hooked into the bumper turn signals. The housings do need to be grounded to the fenders however.

'63-6 used the same turn signal switch, so the wiring remained the same over those years. The turn signal indicators on the top of the fenders use a Y pigtail hooked into the bumper turn signals. The housings do need to be grounded to the fenders however.
I think that’s the issue of the housings being grounded to the fenders. Would love to get them working.

-
Back