Changes done and ready for the track.

-

shobes

Reaction score
The most recent phase of changes are done and I'm ready to get my 1975 Duster to the track. Current setup:
1973 340 .060 over 10.5-1 comp
KB pop up 340 pistons
Comp Cams XS282S solid cam .520/.540
Eddy aluminum open chamber heads, mild porting and cleanup
Eddy RPM Air Gap intake
Holley 750 DP
MSD Ignition
TTI headers w/X pipe and 3" exhaust out the back w/ Flowmaster40 mufflers
833 23 spline 4 speed w/Hurst V Gate shifter and Centerforce DF clutch
8-3/4" 742 rear end. Richmond 4.10 gears with Auburn sure-grip. custom drive shaft with large yoke/joint
SS springs with snubber
28 x 9 Hoosier slicks

I've never run it with slicks prior, always street tires but I do have a scattershield and drive shaft loop. Obviously could never get it too hook even before the performance upgrades with street tires and stock clutch, usually 2.2-2.35 60 ft times and best 1/4 was 13.9@102. Hoping now for 1.8 or better 60 ft, along with low 13's or high 12's for 1/4. Comp Cam's online dyno page is giving my setup around 435hp depending on how you classify my headers/intake/heads, not sure what to think of that.

What do you guys think she will run?

Attachments

• duster right side.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 503
  • duster front.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 473
  • duster rh side.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 501
I'm going with 12.49 @ 110. Good luck :thumbup:

I'm going with 12.49 @ 110. Good luck :thumbup:
x2 traction changes everything...my 70 satelite picked up 8 tenths going to worn out old firestone slicks and the launch was totally different!

I'll say 12.4-12.6 @ 107-108 if you can leave good & jam the gears, good luck & have fun!!

You must have spun alot only trapping 102 with that cam, Thats a very good cam & pulls hard, Well tuned it should pull 109-110 with that set-up, You may want to consider glass bumpers/hood, my 75 dusters F&R bumpers & braces weighed 165 lbs., hood weighed around 63 lbs., after that those 75 dusters are VERY light.

I run that XS282S cam , I'm lovin it.

Ported 360 factory heads with OTS headers but 30 more cubes than you - best MPH is 112.8

I'll say 12.1 if you hook - 12.6 if you don't.

I'll say 12.4-12.6 @ 107-108 if you can leave good & jam the gears, good luck & have fun!!

You must have spun alot only trapping 102 with that cam, Thats a very good cam & pulls hard, Well tuned it should pull 109-110 with that set-up, You may want to consider glass bumpers/hood, my 75 dusters F&R bumpers & braces weighed 165 lbs., hood weighed around 63 lbs., after that those 75 dusters are VERY light.

I did spin plenty prior if I launched anything above say 2000 RPM, but this is my new setup which I've never run at the track. Prior I had factory heads w/mild bowl work and XE274 hydraulic cam w/cheap headers. Thinking the changes added 75+ HP. Certainly lost some low RPM torque, but by running slicks I should be able to launch at 3500 plus rpm's to be up in the power band yet still hook it up. I can't wait, should be a rush !(also hoping not to test out my winch LOL) Getting down in the 12's much less mid 12's would be so sweet!

Low 12's at about 112. I have a very similar 360 with same cam and compression but with very mildly ported X heads and a holley strip dominator single plane, I ran an AT with a 3500 converter. I was having 60ft issues (best was 1.74) and it went 12.24 at 113mph. Wanted to go back with new shocks and try for 11's but it scattered the 727 before I got a chance. Good luck let us know!

Got the clutch adjusted properly can powershift great, now just working on carb tuning. Can't get to the track until next Friday, getting anxious can't wait !

My best pass ended up 13.2@104. I'm still having clutch issues and need to work on carb. I think with those two fixed and a good 5000rpm launch I can get the 12's. Best 60' is still only 2.0, low end carb isn't right now. With some tuning need to get 1.8 or better 60' and I'll be in the 12's. Good times regardless, going again next Sunday.

Well done........I don't envy you trying to "row" a factory four speed down the qtr.

Drop your 60 ft by 2/10ths and you'll make up 34/100ths at the top end - more if you get the MPH up.

Well as it turns out the clutch wasn't the issue, the input shaft bearing retainer must have been fatigued/cracked for awhile now it's snapped. Replacement going in today along with changes to the carb tomorrow, looking forward to running it Sunday and she where it's at. Supposed to be high 80's and humid so not optimal air but last Friday's test session was similar weather so the time slips should show if I made any progress.

It seems between the bearing retainer being cracked then broken which must have wore on the clutch along with some runs with slicks on a hot night my clutch is shot. gonna shut things down until my 18 spline get's rebuilt then get that back in along with a McLeod dual disc clutch.
While she's down I guess we'll upgrade to an MSD Billet distributor and MDS coil, during our troubles we noticed the old coil was cracked and the distributor had issues as well. Sure was a bummer missing Mopar Weekend but meh what can ya do.
Sometime in August it will all be done, hoping to be back to the track late August or early Sept. Heck maybe even has some cool and dry air ????

It seems between the bearing retainer being cracked then broken which must have wore on the clutch along with some runs with slicks on a hot night my clutch is shot. gonna shut things down until my 18 spline get's rebuilt then get that back in along with a McLeod dual disc clutch.
While she's down I guess we'll upgrade to an MSD Billet distributor and MDS coil, during our troubles we noticed the old coil was cracked and the distributor had issues as well. Sure was a bummer missing Mopar Weekend but meh what can ya do.
Sometime in August it will all be done, hoping to be back to the track late August or early Sept. Heck maybe even has some cool and dry air ????

This one might be a good choice, Its not too pricey & is totally adjustable for the curve, easy too, looks like it'll work with an ECU box as well.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Pertronix/751/D141700/10002/-1

I ran this one with a Mallory Highfire 6AL box, loved it. But it doesn't come with vacuum advance & can only be used with aftermarket boxes, so the 1st. one might be your best bet.

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/8534/10002/-1

I think a dual disk clutch is going to be way too much! What will be the clamping poundage? I would run a 2800 pound clutch in that thing. I had a dart that was comparable to your car that I put a 3200 pound clutch in and it was way too much. You're going to have to learn how to slip the clutch and not just side step it or what ever you do. You don't have enough power to do that. With good slicks and a clutch like that it WILL just bog even at Rock falls, I promise.

The trick is getting just enough tire spin to lliminate the bogg, this way your not ridding out the clutch, it won't last long doing that, I however eliminated any bogg on my camaro without tire spin, its called N2o, lelf on a 100 shot right from the gate dumping the clutch, bogg all gone, I ran a CenterForce street/strip clutch.

The trick is getting just enough tire spin to lliminate the bogg, this way your not ridding out the clutch, it won't last long doing that, I however eliminated any bogg on my camaro without tire spin, its called N2o, lelf on a 100 shot right from the gate dumping the clutch, bogg all gone, I ran a CenterForce street/strip clutch.
Nice!

Planning on a Mc Leod street twin dual disc B&B long style matched up with my pro shifted 18 spline 833.

As I do things I'm looking to the future, perhaps my 340 now with ~400-435HP doesn't have enough power but my next motor will be a 340 stroker and it will have enough power and then some. Trying to do the engine components and driveline to work both now and on the future incarnations of my Duster.

That aside I appreciate any and all advice, keep it coming!

here's the bog i was talking about, some has to do with some ignition and carb problems that I've since figured out. my view of bog may well be more of a lack of power/clutch with a good hookup, dunno you be the judge. i know compared to some other 340 cars last weekend my launch aint all that bad but it's not anywhere near what I want. this launch was between 4500-5000, as you can hear I bought it up too high(5500) and let it down then brought it back up last second before green.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEPcg267jvw"]‪GLD 7-22-2011 006.AVI‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

here's the bog i was talking about, some has to do with some ignition and carb problems that I've since figured out. my view of bog may well be more of a lack of power/clutch with a good hookup, dunno you be the judge. i know compared to some other 340 cars last weekend my launch aint all that bad but it's not anywhere near what I want. this launch was between 4500-5000, as you can hear I bought it up too high(5500) and let it down then brought it back up last second before green.

‪GLD 7-22-2011 006.AVI‬‏ - YouTube

You want my honest opinion, That "wasn't" a bogg, thats a slipping clutch or spinning tires, we you took off all i heard was RPMs & no movement, If you get that car to acually "leave" good it'll be in 12s easy. Get a good clutch in it, I personally wouldn't run a dual friction, Just get a good street/strip disc., IMO, The CF can't be beat, get a reman. flywheel & alittle heavier PP, nothing fancy, plus a throwout bearing. Break the clutch in "properly", you need to be easy with it for the 1st. 300 miles in stop & go traffic, then fairly easy the next 150-200 miles, so everything seats in, Then let it rip.

If that were my car, I'd invest around 800.00 or so for all the goodies & drop a N2o system on it, then pull off 11 second passes with ease, & trust me, any bogging issues will disapear :hello2:

-
Back