changing colors 71 dart 1 man home resto.

-

homecloned

Can't re Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I am new to this great site and would like to share some of my restoration progress for anyone interested. My current project is a 71 dart swinger that came from Canada. It was origionally a 318 car but now has a 340. The green paint job and panel replacements were porley done and rust was starting to show in the usual areas. I will be doing all work myself, at home, in my garage. Reading the Worst Body Job Ever thread made me thankfull I can tackle this. I will start with some pics at the current state and update daily. Many Thanks, NDK

I will also be listing some 68-69 dart metal in the next day or so.

DSC00001 (Custom).JPG

DSC00013 (Custom).JPG

DSC00007 (Custom).JPG

DSC00008 (Custom).JPG

DSC00006 (Custom).JPG

DSC00003 (Custom).JPG

DSC00005 (Custom).JPG

DSC00024 (Custom).JPG

I appluad you for attacking this yourself. I too was a victim of the worst paint job ever. I'm in the middle of do it myself too. It's a long process but so worth it when you start to see the results of your work paying off.

I appluad you for attacking this yourself. I too was a victim of the worst paint job ever. I'm in the middle of do it myself too. It's a long process but so worth it when you start to see the results of your work paying off.
I remember that thread Dave!! The paint pealed right off like they did not let the primer cure and did not scuff it down or something.
homecloned looks like he has things under control and doing a very good job.

So you are changing it from green to orange?
Good to hear you are doing it yourself, i've been burned by bad bodywork in the past and that's why i do it myself now. If something happens, i've got nobody to blame but myself.
Yes, let's see some progress pics!
Tom.

Thanks for the kind replies. My motto is if you want anything done wright, do it twice, I mean do it yourself. And yes dartnut I see alot of green ones which is cool but im going to Go Mango/Vitamin C, which I did not realize was a metallic color. Very nice in the sun.

Way to go Homecloned:cheers:, I like the color you have chosen. I didn't realize that hemi orange is a metallic color until I looked in the color chip book(had I known it is called Tor-red iridecent in Pymouth, I would have clued in).There is a great feeling of pride when and if you can do the work yourself.:salute: Keep the pic's coming,they help motivate us to work on our projects....

Thank you retsud043, Hemi orange has more of a redish tint, this is 1970 code #K2, the Tor Red/Hemi Orange is a 1971 code #V2. Thanks and keep tuned for mor pics.

Good looking car....will be awesome. I am going through my Duster by myself but nothing to the extent of this. Awesome man.

Hello All, well I did some more fender work today, finished the lower patch panel and went to fix the inner support brace which was loose. Turns out the reason it was loose was the metal was rusted away and jb weld filled its place, sort of. I cut out the bad and patched it from behind which was easier then welding in a flush piece. I do that on some areas that you can get away with, plus I will be replacing the fenders down the road when $$$$$ permits. While fixing that I noticed the rear edge was loaded with plastic where the hood sits. Luckally I have a scrap fender to cut from, this will be flush with the surrounding steel. Here are some pics of some of my surgeons tools. Simple stuff - cut off wheel for angle grinder
wire wheel for drill
wire brush
wire fed welder
phosphoric acid - OSPHO. not pictured
eye protection
hand sander

DSC00006 (Custom).JPG

DSC00002 (Custom).JPG

DSC00003 (Custom).JPG

DSC00004 (Custom).JPG

DSC00005 (Custom).JPG

DSC00010 (Custom).JPG

DSC00011 (Custom).JPG

DSC00012 (Custom).JPG

why are you changing the color.....will not match vin...but have fun anyway..

Hello beepahh, Color doesn't match vin now. This was a really crappy paint/resto job. This is not a origional 71 340 swinger, ( which are rare, only made in Canada that year) just a daily driven clone that I am having fun with. This is a good practice car untill I restore my 69 GTX, which will not match the vin color either.(drk green met.)

why are you changing the color.....will not match vin...but have fun anyway..

The VIN doesn't show the color code, the fender tag shows the color code. I have been a judge for many car shows including the Mopars @ Englishtown show as well as numerous other Mopar specific shows and a good portion of the cars have fender tag paint codes that do not match the color of the car. Most people choose to have their cars the way they like them best. I am no exception, my 340 Swinger was originally FK5 and is now FE5. For years, as you can see in my avatar photo, I had it FY1. I always build my cars the way I would have ordered it new. That way, I know I will be happy with the final product.

Agreed 340john, This is not a #matching show car. Green was cool for a while but I like the looks of the orange. Car was origionally a dark bronze met with vinyl top. It will get a vinyl top again.

Thanks all for the kind replies. I am headed to the garage to mount that fender and other fun stuff. Keep posted for more pics.

Thanks c7-340, the top will be painted black first due to the fact I have some extra Dupont Emron hanging around which was paid for long ago. That saves some cost on the Go-Mango, $130.00 gal. plus clear, and should hold up alot better. I even went with the paintable undercoating in the trunk to save a little cost(I will post pics later on that)looks very good though.

I think A-bodies are unique, we paint the colors we like. Taking nothing away from restorations, many of us can not afford to do a detailed restoration. You should have a great looking car. Howard

Lookin good.......body work is very time consuming, isn't it ?

Yes Tincup no doubt. The good thing about doing it myself is I have know one to blame but me when I mess up, which has happend. Good thing I work cheap. The best part is the satisfaction at the end of the day!

Thanks c7-340, the top will be painted black first due to the fact I have some extra Dupont Emron hanging around which was paid for long ago. That saves some cost on the Go-Mango, $130.00 gal. plus clear, and should hold up alot better. I even went with the paintable undercoating in the trunk to save a little cost(I will post pics later on that)looks very good though.

I used the spray can paint (ev2) from Totaly Auto on the inside of my Duster's trunk for the same cost reasons. It looks very good.

The totaly auto spray paint is perfect for applications like that. Under the trunk, door jams, fenderwells etc. I am a painter and use my spray gun for everything, but sometimes it is hard to reach some areas...and paint is very expensive.

-
Back