Changing over to power steering

-

Blackheart

Reaction score
My 71 Dart has a big cam and a 3,500 stall converter..this thing is almost impossible to park…thinking about switching over to power steering..thoughts? Will only power steering from another 71 work?or do multiple years run the same steering set up?

Small block? Big block? Slant 6? Headers? (Some headers don't play nice with power steering.)

Still trying to figure out how to use this site, anyway..yes small block 360 with headers

Biggest obstacle is usually the column. You need a shorter one. You can shorten yours. Borgeson makes a nice u-joint kit that makes the job worthwhile. I did it on my '69 Dart and as long as you can follow instructions, it's not really difficult. I would also recommend their late model GM box that's modified to be a bolt-in. It's smaller, lighter, and has a lot better feel than the over-assisted stock box.

What years will work for the steering box?
Assuming you have the stock steering linkage and want a stock P/S box, the '72 and earlier A, B, and E, body mopars use the same box....back to the early '60's anyway. '73 started the large pitman splines, which is the same as the '65-up C-bodies.

-
Back