Changing Piston Rings in Car

-
If the cylinders were just deglazed with the deely-ball hone,, the cyl walls can be wavy, and be difficult/impossible to get a good seal.. I've always run a 3 stone hone to get rid of the dips and valleys,, and finished with a very fine stone, or deely-ball.. I've never had a bad re-ring...

I don't think they had the ball hone when I was taught,, nor moly rings. lol,, so I use what works 100% of the time for me..

OK so totally off the frecken wall, and maybe a guy that runs mopars and ferds and visits this site can shed some incite. But I can remember from a moderate time ago (ok, long ago) that it was told (maybe a wise tale) that some certain ferd block were so hard that they wouldn't always seat rings on a rebuild. So they use an amount comet or bonami in the cylinder to help seat rings. In a far stretch of the imagination I can see it. Kind of like lapping valves in. If your in such a predicament might it be an option to try? I know I wouldn't but hey...........

Anybody???? I would thing your just after the diatoms to do a little light scratching.

I used to work with a guy who had rebuilt MANY engines and said he put a little borax in each cylinder for the first fire up and claimed it would seat the rings right away every time. *** This is not an endorsement, just saying - I have heard the same thing. ***

As to the problem at hand, if there is any way you can beg, borrow, or rent a hoist and make room I would go that route instead of trying to do rings in the car.

Good luck!

If you have to use some outside abrasive to seat rings, your machinist is doing something wrong.

If you have to use some outside abrasive to seat rings, your machinist is doing something wrong.

I agree, even with my LIMITED engine building experience it sounded sketchy to me, and when I asked my cousin (my machinist) about it he said I wouldn't need to do anything like that, and that I wouldn't have any problems with compression or burning oil if I installed the rings correctly. He was right.

I have never had a ring seating issue... but never tried chrome rings either. The stock /6 we did 11 months ago worked better and smoother the longer we ran it over the course of about 300-400 miles. Never had one not be seated as good as it could after the first few moderate pulls up grade. No, I don't think I would use the borax LOL

T'will be interesting to see what the OP finds.

-
Back