Changing shifters

-

Mikes270dart

Reaction score
I thought it would be a quick job, pull out the original shifter and replace with a Hurst super shifter. The one on the left is the original. I cant put the rods back on the way they were on the stock unit. Do I need new rods?
shifter 001.JPG

You can either bend the rod. Or just cut it and shorten it.

Seems like my first shifter change took different linkage. I figured out later the OE would have worked. Counter man was trying to make quota on me.

Stock ones will work fine.

That rod looks way too fat to be original.Does it have a twist in it? From that pic, I fail to see a problem. I see a potential problem if the rod is twisted. But the new body also appears to be upside down? The reverse lever should be hanging closest to the tailshaft.And as you probably know, the reverse lever is the longest one. Soooo the rod you have pictured running off to the left, should be running off to the right.And it should be the 3-4 rod.
Am I wrong?
I suppose the tranny is still installed?

The rod is backwards, the problem is that the way the rods were originally positioned if I transfer them to the new shifter they would interfere with each other. The 1 -2 rod and the 3 -4 rod would not pass each other.

The first picture is the original shifter with the rods in the original orientation. The next pictures you can see the interference. the last solves the problem of the interference but can the rod be attached reversed like it is
001.JPG
002.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
004.JPG
004.JPG
004.JPG
004.JPG

Those are not original Hurst rods. OK wait, rephrase; I have never seen rods like that on any factory hurst shifter from 1969 to 1974. And I don't think you can make them work without cutting and welding.
But I have seen some shifters assembled as in your last picture, but the shifter ends were always straight for at least 4 to 6 inches.
So just what did those rods come out of?

Last edited:
-
Back