Charcoal Canister?

-
What is this world coming to? People rebuilding emission control parts :0 I thought you were supposed to pull those and throw them away. All these years I have been doing it wrong.
FYI, the charcoal canister bracket holds the summit racing vacuum can perfectly.....like it was made for it.

You can throw it away, but for like 30 bucks +or - and time you can rebuild it.
We've become a disposable society.

My 77 jimmy had the canister removed. The vapours were there. Worse below 1/2 tank of gas.
And really bad if i parked it in my garage. i found a canister somewhere, and plumbed it in. Made a world of difference.

On my jeep, I've kept everything. But the alternative to fixing would be a bunch of rerouting of the existing vapor lines. Carb bowl would be easy, but fuel tank would be a royal pain to do well. Would want to vent the fuel tank into the filler tube or something like that like it was done before vapor savers and charcoal cans.

Carb'd FWD Mopars had an issue with charcoal bits getting in the bowl/jets, the answer was putting a small metal inline fuel filter in the vent line. The large line evacuates the vapors, the small one operates the control valve.

Info on adapting non-original canisters and how to hook up an inline purge valve here.

Good info there, Dan, but last time I checked the non-original ones listed there are also no longer available. I rebuilt my original canister following the CJ5 thread linked above. I used a cutoff wheel to open up the canister, and then 2-part epoxy to close it up again. For the top filter I might have used a Scotch-brite pad (easy to cut with scissors), and for the bottom filter I used some HVAC filter material from Home Depot.

the one thing I've noticed is that theres No gas fumes anymore.

-
Back