charging issues

-

polarbytes

Alaska gold Dart
Reaction score
1970 Dart w/360, Powermaster alternator, adjustable VR, Painless wiring harness, light relays,
MSD ignition module and dist. autometer voltage gauge, car was wired according to Mad instructions for a trunk battery. My problem which started yesterday: voltage gauge registers 14.5 volts all seems normal, but then voltage spikes down to 12 and then to 10 and then quits showing charge at all. Gauges blink and there seems to be an audible click that triggers all this. What I've done: changed out VR, no change, disconnected the light relays, no change, checked voltage at both the alternator and battery and until voltage gauge acts up, I have 14.2 and 12.8 respectively. Powermaster alt. is new with only about 300 miles since installation. Could it be a faulty voltage gauge, and how to tell if there is something going on in the alternator. Car is garaged in the winter and has only been back on the road for about a month and half. Sure would like to drive it to enjoy all this unusual AK warm weather.

Starter wouldn't cause gauges or voltage drops and it starts just fine, no drag. But I'll double check, thanks for the reply.
An update: alternator is now looking like the culprit as voltage test with a better meter at the alternator shows a fluctuation of voltage between 6 and 13.2 volts. this can't be good right? What part of the alternator has failed since this alt is out of warranty and is very expensive I'd like to fix it.

-
Back