Charging smart phones on old Mopars?

-

Gib Warnick

'65 Valiant signet
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just wondering - is it OK to charge cell phones with the cigar lighter in my 1972 Scamp?
I figure the cigar lighter drew alot on current, but don't know how much smart phone ( a Droid) draws. Thought I would ask before trying....

Your mopar has a cigarette lighter in it?
Fancy

I bought a USB port from eBay I'm going to install in the car and use that to charge my phone

The charger will only draw the amps it needs.

That's right and there is zero chance a phone charger will draw very much. An amp or two if that. "The standard" for USB based ports was supposed to be less than an amp, although some "proprietary" (stupid) ones are more.

Last edited:
For years and years these stupid car-to-car lighter jumpers have been sold. A guy has to wonder "on that day" in the cold, snow, rain, standing there in the wet.......how many people not only were left with a non running car, a still dead battery, but blown fuses and burned up wiring as well LOL

ESA1-2.jpg

For years and years these stupid car-to-car lighter jumpers have been sold. A guy has to wonder "on that day" in the cold, snow, rain, standing there in the wet.......how many people not only were left with a non running car, a still dead battery, but blown fuses and burned up wiring as well LOL

View attachment 1715096293

That thing might work if you gave it 30 minutes before trying to start. (maybe)

I jumped a motorcycle with another motorcycle once in the middle of the night and out of town with a coat hanger I found on the side of the road between the two battery positives and the handlebars touching.:D
Hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

That lighter jumper would have probably worked ok for that since both bikes had sockets for it.

No Lie, first time sitting in our Scamp my son opened the ashtray and said "Dad look a little storage compartment and a phone charger." How's that for a different perspective?

Trail beast said:
I jumped a motorcycle with another motorcycle once in the middle of the night and out of town with a coat hanger I found on the side of the road between the two battery positives and the handlebars touching.:D Hey said:
Nice! You could a got a merit badge for that one!

No Lie, first time sitting in our Scamp my son opened the ashtray and said "Dad look a little storage compartment and a phone charger." How's that for a different perspective?
Funny Yea- my bro in law was taking his daughter for a ride in his 70 Duster- told her to roll down her window- clusless- couldn't find the button

12 volt socket in the 60s and 70s is the same 12 volt socket as today
Thanks guys- I thought it would be OK but thought best to consult Mopar Nation folks first- My radio doesn't work so I use my phone to play music and it uses a lot of battery...

............and just like then, an incredibly poor choice for an auxiliarly power source LOL
Mine worked like a champ all day yesterday keeping my phone charged as we streamed music to a bluetooth speaker.

I know my Samsung phone uses a 2.1-Amp charger, most of the car USB power adapters you get in gas stations and such have two USB slots, one for 2.1 Amps and the other for just 1 Amp. But that's also at a lower voltage, I think typical USB voltage is in the 5-9V range? So no there's no way you could burn up your cigarette lighter socket charging a phone lol. Besides it has a 5A (I think?) fuse in the cig lighter circuit so if it was drawing too much power it would blow the fuse under the dash, then you would know for sure.

I know my Samsung phone uses a 2.1-Amp charger, most of the car USB power adapters you get in gas stations and such have two USB slots, one for 2.1 Amps and the other for just 1 Amp. But that's also at a lower voltage, I think typical USB voltage is in the 5-9V range? So no there's no way you could burn up your cigarette lighter socket charging a phone lol. Besides it has a 5A (I think?) fuse in the cig lighter circuit so if it was drawing too much power it would blow the fuse under the dash, then you would know for sure.
Thanks

-
Back