!!! Charles Manson !!!

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Back when Charles Manson was doing murder and mayhem, most of us still had rotary dial phones, and the only mobile phones were made by people like Motorola, were installed in the trunk of your car, and looked exactly like what they were---a modified police/ commercial two-way radio

from here:

http://www.wb6nvh.com/MTSfiles/Carphone3.htm

DTOa.JPG

NOW Manson, who's been locked up ever since, has been caught with a contraband cellphone in his cell

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/12/04/charles-manson-caught-cell-phone-prison/

Let the speculation begin

I've never seen any of those old car phones.. I watched a special on mason the other night, he was a pretty good singer, crazy as a monkey on crack but he could sing...

My wife just told me yesterday about Chuckles being caught with a cell phone. Hey, that's almost appropriate, a "cell phone". :toothy10:

Wonder what he's up to, trying to start a new "family"?

My uncle had one of those old car phones in a scrap metal truck that he drove in the '60s. I even got to call Gramma on it to say hi.

NEWS AND POLITICS. Or else this'll end up gettin ugly.

Not that I got that outta the way......honestly, I don't really give a damn about Manson.......and no offense meant to you in the least, 67Dart273. Manson can just fall off the planet far as I'm concerned.

Not sure what this has to do with politics. Anyway those old phones are cool as hell I'd still rock one in my car if I could figure out how to get service to it.

Yep, Manson is a nobody. Should have been knocked in the head along time ago. Who was sleepin on the cell phone thing. Maybe someone made a kickback. Corrections at it's finest.
Small Block

Manson can just fall off the planet far as I'm concerned.

I never intended anything controversial. I agree--Manson could just GO

I thought it was somehow funny that he of all people would think he needed a phone.

Helter Skelter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBMMCClIgTc"]YouTube - Motley Crue - Helter Skelter[/ame]

I never intended anything controversial. I agree--Manson could just GO

I thought it was somehow funny that he of all people would think he needed a phone.

Naw...I didn't mean all that.....it was just news. but it seems all good. I had read the story and wondered why the hell the media even picked up on it?!?!?! Definately a topic worth a laff. :toothy10:

I have one that I picked up a few years ago but it is strictly a CB radio with a handset.

Attachments

• 100_1647.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 578
Oh wow, i always thought those were props in the movies, i think they have on in the James Bond Movies Live and Let Die and a few others

I had a car phone in my back in the late 70's. They were actually called "Radio Phones', but you could call any landline from it.
There was a push button (key) on the handset that you had to push to talk, release to listen. When you had a conversation, each time you were getting ready to release to listen, you had to say "Over" (similar to using a Ham radio).

The picture of the CB above looks very similar to the part of the car phone that was mounted under the dash. But, there was a large transmitter box that went in the truck. It was about 18" square, and about 5" tall, with about half a dozen heavy wires, and a good sized antenna mounted the car.

It worked well, but it's nothing like the cell phones we have now. My iPhone has about the same, or more, computing power as NASA's computers did during the first moon landing!

I had a car phone in my back in the late 70's. each time you were getting ready to release to listen, you had to say "Over" (similar to using a Ham radio). !

There were different types of mobile phone systems over the years, some essentially had a two-way radio system with an added "phone patch" otherwise known as a "Marti." I do not remember what "Marti" stands for, Motorola called them a "radiotelephone interconnect"

TRUE old school mobile phones of the time period you speak were "duplexed." Most two way, CB and amateur stuff is "simplex" meaning that first one guy talks (transmits), unkeys, then the other party keys up and talks.

"Duplex" or "full duplex" in this context means that both parties ---just like a landline phone---can talk and hear the opposite end at the same time. True mobilphone units had a "duplexer" installed in or alongside the radio and in fact did just that---transmitted and received in duplex.

Lots of pictures of equipment and history of early mobile phone stuff from here:

http://www.wb6nvh.com/Carphone.htm

As a side note, I used to run amateur radio gear from my Roadrunners while stationed at Miramar from 70-74. San Diego area amateurs STILL HOLD the same call for one area amateur repeater, WBWLV. Back in those days it's main in/out frequencies were on "two meters" but they had a UHF control link up on 450. I had an old G.E. "Pre Prog" (A name conjured after the fact---radio was made before G.E. Progress Line came out, so AFTER PL came out, the early line was dubbed "pre prog." Anyhow, I had a 450 receiver and cavity filter in the trunk, and could hear the "talk back" on the repeater as I was transmitting. We thought we were so damn cool back then.

A few of us also Located San Diego's "mad jammer" but that is another story.

I don't really care to speculate on what he was doing with the phone but one of my old professors worked as a CO in California and had a few run ins with Manson. Apparently he was a real wack job in person but compared to other inmates he was not to much trouble at all.

I use to install the Moto phones in cars as late as 1980. The company I worked for also had a 'paging' service. I used to also repair the pagers.
Installed phones in Rolls Royce's and one really cool 928 Porsche.

Believe it or not, it happens a lot more than you think. We just had a inmate get busted with a cell phone in his belongings as well. They prey on weak minded staff and convince them somehow to start bringing them in something small, such as gum or a pencil. It moves to bigger things, until the staff member gets uncomfortable. The staff then tell them they are not bringing them in what ever they asked for.

Well now the inmate has you trapped. He will tell you if you dont I will rat you out that you brought me blah blah blah stuff. So you better bring me in that cell phone. The staff afraid of getting into trouble does just what the inmate wants and brings in the phone or drugs or what not..

You would not believe all the crazy stuff that happens inside these walls.

-
Back