Cheap timing light???

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I can't seem to find my old reliable chrome craftsman timing light. Must have grown legs or something. Since I need one soon and don't have time to cruise around garage sales, whats a decent cheap inductive (non-advancing) timing light??

Does anyone have the Innova 3551??

41FGUWn7U7L._AA220_.jpg

How about the Actron CP7527?

4111W83GRZL._AA220_.jpg

Those Actrons are junk.....I bought one brand new at auto parts store....I timed one car with it.....Went to time another car and it flashed about 10 times and then stopped flashing.....something went wrong internally...

I got mine at advance auto 100 bucks I use it regularlly I think it a akron no trouble and eay to use.

Look in your local craigslist. Hell, I've got a couple I picked up at garage sales for 3-8 bucks. I bought an old chrome Penske at a thrift store for 3 bucks for no other reason than I already have one!!!!

You can rent one from any big box store and get 100% of your money back. Then you could pick up a better one later.

You can rent one from any big box store and get 100% of your money back. Then you could pick up a better one later.

LOL Years ago when I sold parts, I'd just bought myself a pickle fork. Guy came in on a Sat and we were out of stock. This was before "big box" stores hit our area, and nobody rented much in the way of tools.

I told him he could borrow mine for a 20 buck DEPOSIT, and he threw an efffin' fit. Claimed I was trynna rip him off.

I guess to make him happy I woulda'hadda

Clean the tool completely

Deliver it to his shop

Show him how to use it and then do the actual work

Then just give him the tool for bein' such a hellofa guy

And before leaving, clamp his nuts in gold plated vise!!!!

I thought that too, but none of the autopart stores around here loan out timing lights. Wish I had the time to hit up some garage sales, but I just don't. Good idea though. I'll just buy a cheapie. I know as soon as I get it home, my other one will show up. Isn't that how it usually works? :banghead:

Neither Zone, or O'Crappy's rents lights. Check out the Nor Cal FABO membership. Maybe one,is close enough to help.

I use a Harbor freight light. If you don't want an advancing light, they sell a cheap one for like 15 bucks. It does the trick.

I use a Harbor freight light. If you don't want an advancing light, they sell a cheap one for like 15 bucks. It does the trick.

He may not want an advancing light because he runs an MSD. THey require a non-advancing light.

I have a double "D" cell power light I got 15 years ago for $30. it also is a flash light but the quit working some time ago. yes the timing light still works great and can be used with the a msd or a magneto.

I have a non advance HF timing light for about 4 years and have no trouble out of it.

Well, the one I bought off Amazon shipped and will be here on Monday. Went out to the garage today and what did I find??? Yep, you guessed it...

1012131605_zps850ccc9f.jpg

Next question...

Has anyone returned something off Amazon.com?? I'm assuming since it's shipped, it's too late to cancel the order???

You can return to amazon with no problem.

The problem I have with those timing lights like that crapsman up there ^^^^ is how the harness plugs in. They always get loose over time and make the light work intermittently. I have thrown those kind slam across the shop. If you get one, get one with the wires made into it. They give a lot less trouble.

The reason why the manufacturers use a plug in lead set is so you can replace the leads when you damage them when you wrap them up in the fan. It happens! The inductive pick-up, if they are hard wired, always fail at the cord restraint at the base of the gun. tmm

RustyRatRod
Caint REmember

View Photos By: RustyRatRod

The problem I have with those timing lights like that crapsman up there ^^^^ is how the harness plugs in. They always get loose over time and make the light work intermittently. I have thrown those kind slam across the shop. If you get one, get one with the wires made into it. They give a lot less trouble.

With Tool man Mike,here. Bought a uesd MAC,t.l 20 years ago. Loaned it out,came back broken(imagine that!). T.M.M. fixed it,from spare surplus. That's a true tool guy. Thanks ,T.M.M..

The reason why the manufacturers use a plug in lead set is so you can replace the leads when you damage them when you wrap them up in the fan. It happens! The inductive pick-up, if they are hard wired, always fail at the cord restraint at the base of the gun. tmm

I know the reasons for it. I'm not the dullest knife in the drawer. Been using them since about 1975. The only lights I've ever had trouble with are those with the removable harness. Never had trouble with the hard wired ones. It's up to the mechanic to keep the harness out of a running fan. If he cannot, maybe he needs to find a new vocation. JMO

That said, the next time I use my timing light, I will probably promptly get the harness caught in the fan and choke myself with it.

I'm just glad I found my old reliable light. I like the fact that the harness unplugs. For as often as I use it, it works flawlessly.

Yeah. I have a friend who has a similar one to yours. He's never had trouble with it. Kinda figures. I have the black cloud of bad luck following me around everywhere.

-
Back