Cheapest overdrive options? A833od? 200r4? T5?

-

70dusterpink

Reaction score
I have a 67 barracuda it's my daily driver...
Has a warmed up 318 and 904 and 4.10 gears!

Looking to swapping to a overdrive and do not have $2000 plus to spend...

I'm thinking the cheapest would be a A833od... Steal all the pedals, linkages, bell, etc to swap right into my 67 barracuda...NApa flywheel n clutch.. Or am I wrong?

Is there any other cheaper options?

IMO there arent really cheap options. Just about every option puts you in the 2k+ range.

Get a GV, you have more than just a OD gear

Not a great od ratio compared to the other options.

The 833 could be the cheapest if your patient and get good deals on the parts..

Where you located in jersey? I have two 833 od transmissions. Been thinking about letting them go.. :)

I'm about 20 min from Berlin! How much would you want for one of them? The 904 and 4.10s is killing my gas milage not that I care to much... It's the rpms giving me a headache more that bothers me

I'm using my barracuda as a daily driver... A .73 od would be perfect for me

I'm about 20 min from Berlin! How much would you want for one of them? The 904 and 4.10s is killing my gas milage.

I'm using my barracuda as a daily driver... A .73 od would be perfect for me

""Is there any other cheaper options?""

If you're looking for mileage, you could get rid of the 4.10's...put in 3.23's/2.94's, etc.....that would be the cheapest.

For a daily-driver, that's what I'd do.

The problem with dropping the gears is my car has 340 x heads on it... So it doesn't come alive till 3000-3500.... The 4.10s are really needed haha...

Abody Joe... What's the difference between the same and large output? Are they the short tailshaft versions? Can u send me a number I can reach you at?

The one would be stronger then the other. Small output is an alumn case I assume from a slant. The larger output I'd a cast iron case. They are both abody transmissions..

Find a better daily driver. Even with an OD swap you would only go from craptastic mpg's to just crappy mpg's.
Yep.....for what it is going to cost go get a bomber.....but by the time you register/insure/maintain both vehicles the $$$ will probably be next to nothing....especially if NJ insurance is as bad as it was when I lived there....is that frigging JUA or whatever the hell it was called still around???

I just bought an A518 for a few hundred locally I managed to stuff it into my daily '73 Dart.
Had to buy a new speedometer-cable and 2 lenghts of hardline for the oilcooler.
Can't get much cheaper than that IMO.

Remember you have an auto now so you would also incur the cost of a floor hump, carpet, shifter with rods, cross shaft with frame and bell mounts, pedals, bellhousing yo get the pic. If you prefer a 4 speed ok but dont do it just for a cheap way to bring the top rpm down.

The problem with dropping the gears is my car has 340 x heads on it... So it doesn't come alive till 3000-3500.... The 4.10s are really needed haha...

Well, there you go....the proverbial question....do I want to go fast, or do I want MPG's???? It's usually a compromise, or, you need to spend some money.

I can spend about $1500... Decided which way to go... I was thinking t5... I have one all rebuilt...

Or the a833od..

Have to look more into the t5 swap...

It isn't really the mpg that bothers me... It's the rpms...

I may just swap out to 3.55.... Might be better...

I'm only running a 26" tire...

Not a great od ratio compared to the other options.

The 833 could be the cheapest if your patient and get good deals on the parts..

Where you located in jersey? I have two 833 od transmissions. Been thinking about letting them go.. :)

I have 4 of them, they work great as a od and even better as an additional gear to aid every gear in the trans.
It's more than a od gear at the end.

Also 3500 is like a 1000 more than a car, 3500 is more like a few trucks i have been selling them since the late 80's

Did you read the top sticky link? It should be mandatory before posting a question like this.

Even with a rebuild and all the goodies, the dude did the 42RH swap for about $900 bones. With a welder. That's about as inexpensive as it gets.

-
Back