Not open for further replies.

cudak888

1-Baker-11
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Contact seller
Hello fellows:

The temperature gauge on my '68 Satellite (and the fuel gauge) are dead; pretty sure I have a dead voltage reducer on the back of the instrument cluster.

That said, I still want to do some test runs without tearing into the cluster, and would rather hook up a temperature gauge to the sender and a ground.

Though I have a pile of old gauges in the shed, and it turns out my only temp gauge has a fixed copper line from the gauge all the way to a built-on sender. I'd rather not start splicing hoses or putting tees into the intake to adapt it - I'd rather be able to wire the factory sender up and go.

This said, I'm looking for any old gauge that works and will allow me to do a simple three-wire connection (sender/ground/switched power) to get it working.

PM if you have something.

-Kurt

See my original post - I don't want to go splicing hoses if I can help it. More places to leak, adapters to buy, and not necessarily the best place to pull the temp from.

-Kurt

If you need a down & dirty setup (which could be used for other purposes later), Harbor Freight often has their 3 gauge unit on sale for $9.99. Perhaps that might work for you. GL.

If you need a down & dirty setup (which could be used for other purposes later), Harbor Freight often has their 3 gauge unit on sale for $9.99. Perhaps that might work for you. GL.

Never thought I'd be happy HF exists. Great idea, thanks for the tip!

Do you have a multi meter? Checking resistance between the sensor tang and chassis ground when cold/hot should give you a clue if the sender is working.

The HF gauges are likely the standard mechanical type, and not the wired electrical-sender unit you're looking for.

Do you have a multi meter? Checking resistance between the sensor tang and chassis ground when cold/hot should give you a clue if the sender is working.

The HF gauges are likely the standard mechanical type, and not the wired electrical-sender unit you're looking for.

I do have a multimeter. I tried grounding the sender wire to the dash, but did not check resistance on the tang to ground. Any range of what I should be looking for?

-Kurt

Cold should be low (sub 100), hot should be several hundred ohms. Could even be done with a pot of water. You're looking for a change of the resistance of more than a few ohms - that's really all that matters.

Cold should be low (sub 100), hot should be several hundred ohms. Could even be done with a pot of water. You're looking for a change of the resistance of more than a few ohms - that's really all that matters.

Will do. At least I'll know if the sender is working or not.

Will still have to dig up a gauge for the test drives.

-Kurt

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back