Check out this shotgun I just scored!

-
If it's french...well, in that case it has probably never been fired
That's a good one. The 5th and 6th Marine Division wears a French Fourragere for meritorious service in WW1 from the French Government. Its origin was a noose that the French soldiers wore into battle to remind them that they would be hung by it if they didn't fight. At least that's what they told us in Boot Camp.

Read up on how to setup the recoil system. There is a setting for heavy and for light loads. If set for heavy and you shoot light trap loads, it may not fully extract and eject the spent shell. If set for light loads and you shoot heavy 2 3/4" shells in it, you can peen the receiver and damage the gun. I have a second year gun, (~1903) that was not setup correctly or the recoil spring was weak and the rear of the receiver is peened out from the bolt slamming against it. If you are going to use it much, I would recommend changing the springs in the forend and receiver.

My phone is to dead to take pics but the number inside the fore grip is 94019

The screws in the receiver are stamped

The bottom of the breach is stamped 94019.

I tried running the number on line and had no luck?

It DOSE say "browning patent defose"

Also I can not get the charge handle to separate from the bolt

20190601_214131_zpspj8ke4y5.jpg

20190601_214155_zpsxytahhiv.jpg

20190601_214201_zpsugjupmfd.jpg

20190601_214221_zpscw9wkstf.jpg

20190601_214305_zpsajq9varx.jpg

In the last pic you can see the charge handle is keyed into the bolt. I cant see anyway to remove the handle?

That is a pretty early one, pre-WW2 by the 94xxx serial number and all the acceptance stamps. Be careful operating that safety inside the trigger guard. There's a reason they moved it to a cross button behind the trigger.
Auto-5 Semi-Automatic Shotgun
There is a ton of information out there and a couple companies around St. Louis with ex-employees that restore them. But like a Mopar, that restoration ain't cheap.

One of the ones I have is serial number 1,***, so first or second year. Unfortunately it is thrashed, but I'll restore it one of these days.

If I didn't say it before, I say it now.

I'm fricking jealous. And I'm man enough to admit that.

I just love that gun. What a beauty.

In the last pic you can see the charge handle is keyed into the bolt. I cant see anyway to remove the handle?

Actually, IIRC you can twist it to get it out. I have a ton of notes on that gun. The notes are only 3.5 hours away though. It's a fairly simple gun as far as shotguns goes. If you can understand a shotgun, you can understand almost any gun.

I have a mid 30s Remington model 11 12 gauge very simular. The barrel and internals are stamped Belgium. Only face plate says Remington. My understanding is that Remington had to use Browning/Belgium parts due to patients of the A5. It's full choke is too tight of pattern to be much of a bird gun. But shoots rifled slugs straight as an arrow.

My grandpa had two of them when he passed, he loved collecting guns.
One is a Browning, and the other a Remington.
I have not shot either one since I was a kid, but they both shot great, and made good duck guns, they were 16 gauge.
I have not actually seen them in years, but dad has them tucked away somewhere.

-
Back