Chevy 904 transmission

-

lemondana

BlackDart
Reaction score
Anyone ever seen a Chevy bolt pattern 904 transmission? I hadn't either-over on hotrodders.com forum in the classified under transmissions. Not real good pictures, but there it is. Check it out!

:thumbsup: GIVE this man 5 stars. One of the very few that knew this. My ex-boss was looking for one a few years back(I worked in the transmission industry) to put behind a big block chev. His parts manager laughed at him, which he shouldn't have as the boss was a transmission builder. I told the boss let me make a call, and the manager kind of snickered. One phone call, and he got his transmission.

I wish I knew about this, because it would have been perfect in my 64 f100. It's got a 6.0 ls Chevy in it and would have been amazing to have that backed by a 904. That would have really pissed off Ford guys.

:thumbsup: GIVE this man 5 stars. One of the very few that knew this. My ex-boss was looking for one a few years back(I worked in the transmission industry) to put behind a big block chev. His parts manager laughed at him, which he shouldn't have as the boss was a transmission builder. I told the boss let me make a call, and the manager kind of snickered. One phone call, and he got his transmission.

Wow.... That guy should never had chuckled. Years ago when I worked at an AMC dealer (yes I'm that old LOL) we always knew to get the FAB number or look under the hood to get the correct parts cause you never knew what driveline they used on what day and the Jeeps were the worst for using what ever!!

I got one here in Ohio as a core, thanks Dave.

20181201_110013.jpg

20181201_110017.jpg

Iron Duke is a Pontiac engine. You would think it would be a BOP pattern.

The 62 Nova base motor was the original "Iron Duke". I think I remember a 78 AMC Hornet with that motor trans combo; Chevy 4 cyl with 904.

The 62 Nova base motor was the original "Iron Duke". I think I remember a 78 AMC Hornet with that motor trans combo; Chevy 4 cyl with 904.
I think the Iron Duke was a Pontiac. Chevy had their own 4 cylinders.

Correct... Iron Duke was Pontiac. If I remember correctly they had a "I4" decal on the valve cover or something like that. AMC used a different bolt pattern but was the GM engine with the 904. To long ago and I think I'd rather forget those days.

Iron duke was a gen 3 Stovebolt (Chevy 194-230-250-292) with 2 cylinders sectioned out. Only BOP 6 cylinder I am aware of was the Buick 225-231.

According to wiki we are "all" correct..................

"The Iron Duke Pontiac engine VIN code A (also called the 2500, 151, Pontiac 2.5, and Tech IV, though the decal on the air filter assemblies actually reads "4 Tech") is a 2.5 L (150.8 cu in) I4 piston engine. All Iron Dukes were built by Pontiac beginning in 1977 and ending in 1993. After this time, the GM 2.2 L OHV 4-cylinder replaced it across the entire lineup of vehicles that offered it. This engine is not to be confused with the Chevrolet 153. Early Iron Dukes had a Chevrolet V8 bellhousing (also shared with its third generation inline six) instead of the Buick-Oldsmobile-Pontiac bellhousing bolt pattern until the early 1980s when the later versions were installed in FWD applications where the 2.8L bellhousing bolt pattern was phased in. Cylinder head design had the intake manifold mounted on the passenger side, and the exhaust manifold on the driver side."

727 was used behind Iveco trucks in the mid to late 80s.

Brian

I would not know but there were "a few" oddball setups. Mopar automatics, primarily 727, came in AMC engine pattern as well as IHC. "Somewhere" there is an IHC 727 adapter/ tailshaft setup that bolts up to Jeep/ IHC/ Spicer transfer case

-
Back