Chevy truck forum.....

-

rgp266

Reaction score
Any one know a good Chevy Truck Forum? I have a brand new tail gate for a 73-87 smooth side Chevy Truck still in GM black primer that I have no use for and need to sell.
Thanks......
Bob

Any one know a good Chevy Truck Forum? I have a brand new tail gate for a 73-87 smooth side Chevy Truck still in GM black primer that I have no use for and need to sell.
Thanks......
Bob

Bob,
One style tailgate does not fit all those years, although they appear to be the same at first glance.

IIRC, '73-'75 tailgates have a tab on each side that fits into a slot in the bed when closed. This is to prevent the bed from spreading apart if it's carrying a load that puts stress on the sides.

'76-up (again, I might be a year or so off) don't have this tab. It's incorporated into the latch assembly.

So, originally, the early bedsides themselves were different also as the early ones had the slot for the tab.

If you have an early style o/e gate I would think it would bring a premium over the more common later style, especially to someone restoring an original truck.
Dallas

I have no clue, Dallas, as to what year this thing is although I do not recall seeing any tabs on the tailgate. I was told they all interchange with the correct latch hardware. Guess I need to climb back up to the loft and look.
Thanks, Frankie, for the info.

Bob

I have no clue, Dallas, as to what year this thing is although I do not recall seeing any tabs on the tailgate. I was told they all interchange with the correct latch hardware. Guess I need to climb back up to the loft and look.
Thanks, Frankie, for the info.

Bob

Bob,
I think that's correct about the interchangability.
Probably 20 years ago my uncle let his '74 roll back into a building and it took forever to find the correct bedside and tailgate to repair it. I was surprised the insurance company held out for o/e parts.
Dallas

Well, climbed back up in to the loft and had another look at that tailgate. Be damned if it does not look like a picture of a 73-5 tailgate on Brothers Trucks site but I still see no tab like Dallas described. Perhaps Chevrolet used the later style tailgate as a service replacement? I will do more research on this.
Thanks for the assist, Dallas.

Bob

Well, climbed back up in to the loft and had another look at that tailgate. Be damned if it does not look like a picture of a 73-5 tailgate on Brothers Trucks site but I still see no tab like Dallas described. Perhaps Chevrolet used the later style tailgate as a service replacement? I will do more research on this.
Thanks for the assist, Dallas.

Bob

Bob,
I wish I had taken a picture of the tailgate and bed on my uncle's truck. I remember the difference from when I worked on them 30+ years ago. I later restored (maybe 20 years ago) a '73-'74 for a customer. The replacement bedsides didn't have the slots to receive the tailgate tabs but I don't remember if they were o/e bedsides or a/m.

I would guess the replacements were all the later style since they covered many more years. If I find any more info or some pics I'll post it.

I just checked the Brother's website but couldn't find a pic of the end or back side of the tailgate to see if they had the tabs. I'm betting they don't. I also noticed they skip '73-early'76 on the tailgate arms, too, so I'm thinking those are the very first design.
Dallas

Bob, I wish I had taken a picture of the tailgate and bed on my uncle's truck. I remember the difference from when I worked on them 30+ years ago. I later restored (maybe 20 years ago) a '73-'74 for a customer. The replacement bedsides didn't have the slots to receive the tailgate tabs but I don't remember if they were o/e bedsides or a/m. I would guess the replacements were all the later style since they covered many more years. If I find any more info or some pics I'll post it. I just checked the Brother's website but couldn't find a pic of the end or back side of the tailgate to see if they had the tabs. I'm betting they don't. I also noticed they skip '73-early'76 on the tailgate arms, too, so I'm thinking those are the very first design. Dallas
Are these the tabs you are talking about? These were found online, supposedly from a 74 Chevy. Just trying to help out.

Attachments

• 74Chevytailgate.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 130
  • 74Chevytailgate2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 127
I am a member on GMSB. It's one of the better GM truck forums out there.:coffee2:

Are these the tabs you are talking about? These were found online, supposedly from a 74 Chevy. Just trying to help out.

Yes, that's what I'm referring to. The tab fits into a slot in the bed so the bed won't spread apart.
They used that style in '73-'74 for sure, and possibly through '75.5 (maybe '76) according to research I did on the latch assemblies.
Thanks for the pic.
Dallas

Mine is an 85 and has those tabs but they are lower at the latch http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=1714760203&stc=1&d=1413165930 there like this, an 85 latch

Yes, they may have started using that type sometime in '76 and continued until production ended for that bodystyle ('88-'90 depending on 1/2-1 ton ratings).

There is no slot in the bed on that style, the tab fits into the part of the latch that's bolted to the bed. (FYI for those not familiar lol).

I think all replacement tailgates are now that style. To use on a first design bed you would have to change the latch assembly, too.

Dallas

If Im not mistaken you can just cut the tab off of the top and do a little bending on it and weld it back on to where (mine) is, would need to change out the "catch" on the bed side as well, or maybe not, or just cut out a slot in the newer years. In looking at the pictures it doesnt look very scientific, hope it helps somebody.

I also have the original cardboard shipping sleeve with the label. Unfortunately, the part number is partially destroyed. All I can see of the part number is 7206 or possibly 67206 as the last 4 or 5 numbers with a ship date of 07/31/91. The Chevrolet Logo is stamped in to the tailgate (letters are roughly 2.5" tall) almost the full width in the recessed area covered by the trim in the photo posted by 65loveaffair. I don't want to use it, I have no Chevrolet Trucks and do not see any Chevrolet trucks in my future. I just want to sell it but I also want to be able to honestly say what I have there to a potential buyer.

Bob

The guy that owned the tailgate in the pics I posted was asking $225, but I don't know what the final number was. I can say he did have a lot of interest at that price, and it was banged up a little. Good luck!

Went to AMD's site and it looks like it is for an 81-87. Sort of confusing because the picture of the 73-5 tailgate looked identical. Being an original GM part it should bring a decent price from a Chevy guy.
Thanks for your interest in this........

Bob

Went to AMD's site and it looks like it is for an 81-87. Sort of confusing because the picture of the 73-5 tailgate looked identical. Being an original GM part it should bring a decent price from a Chevy guy.
Thanks for your interest in this........

Bob

IIRC, the '81-'87 have the extra stiffening rib as shown in post #11. '81 may have been the first year for that.

An o/e tailgate should bring a premium as they are heavier that the repops.
Dallas

-
Back