Chop Cut Rebuild Spin-off

-
On this episode of Chop Cut Garage:
This is my garage. This is a fuel filter.This is an oil filter.This is a spark plug.
Sounds like fun ! Just razzing...Your a good guy Dan,good luck with it.

for what it's worth, I do not give a crap about YOUR garage...unless you can show me something even remotely TRICK you have built...

Throw this in the idea hat at the next spitball meeting.....

Go to the guys that actually build the cool stuff....THEIR hot rod garage, their cool builds.
I'm not talking about the guys that do it for a living....I talking about the guys that hot rod because they LOVE it....let us/everyone meet them and get an insight on who and what it takes to build these cool rides....on a real budget. I'm NOT talking about the guys that just open up the checkbook and hire it all out.

The ones that build because it's in their blood are the innovators and they also that stick with it when the project takes a little thought and imagination.....not the 8-5 dipstick, ready to roll his toolbox to its next new home because he's a little stressed.

I could give you about 50 good builders ...on this site alone to cherry pick from...just to get started. Then there are the e-body/b-body/ Chebbie/Ferd guys/gals...well , you get the point

ideas???....I got a million of em!

well.....you asked!

Mopar to ya'
Denny

Now let me guess... your name would also be on that list, correct? I do appreciate the suggestions. There's always room for ideas in this world. But, it's the ability to turn them into finished products that makes you a producer.

Unfortunately, what you're proposing would be an expensive concept IF we were to see any of these people do anything. Otherwise, it would simply be a talking head show were some guy brags about his skills. If the crew actually filmed them doing anything, it would escalate production costs dramatically. A road-trip show can be an expensive thing to produce.

What we're doing is trying to create a cost effective concept because it does not have any network funding behind it (yet). The idea is to keep the costs low, both on the production side and the content side. I've heard complaint after complaint from people who look at CCR and say what we're doing is unrealistic for most people because of the price. So, this is an attempt to change that perspective. Yes, there will be sponsors - you don't work for free do you? Someone will be trying to sell something, which no one is making you buy. What we really want to capture more than anything, is the social side of the garage. I want guys to hang out, drink some beer, laugh at the mistakes, laugh at other peoples mistakes, and then be done by dinner time. Real life... Not "Reality TV".

Canadian glory hound. Always gotta be whorin' yer mug for the camera. :poke: :wack: :eek:ops:

Just kidding Dan. Since I still don't have cable or satellite, it'll be nice to watch something other than YouTube videos ( or **** ) on the interweb.

Wylde1.

Dude, you gotta get someone a Slingbox for Christmas! Then you can watch their TV on your computer!

Dan, this looks like something I would enjoy watching. Just make sure you keep the parts in the show where the plan goes to plan B or worse because something doesn't go as smoothly as it should. I go out in the garage with a plan and end up going to get some special item I need because my crap is rust-welded together and then I break a bolt then have to fire up the torches/cut off wheels.........and so on. I hate how the current shows loosen a couple screws and then whalla! it's installed. Need to show how trouble is overcome (without looking like total fools). Allowing some unprofessional but competent talent like HemiDenny refers to allowing them to assist would be a good way to show this. Do it with humo(u)r eh! and it would be entertaining.

Sounds good.Looking how many mopars make the show.I would like to see some more of anything but Bow tie's and Stangs Since there are so many cool car out there.

Arco

Now let me guess... your name would also be on that list, correct? I do appreciate the suggestions. There's always room for ideas in this world. But, it's the ability to turn them into finished products that makes you a producer.

Unfortunately, what you're proposing would be an expensive concept IF we were to see any of these people do anything. Otherwise, it would simply be a talking head show were some guy brags about his skills. If the crew actually filmed them doing anything, it would escalate production costs dramatically. A road-trip show can be an expensive thing to produce.

What we're doing is trying to create a cost effective concept because it does not have any network funding behind it (yet). The idea is to keep the costs low, both on the production side and the content side. I've heard complaint after complaint from people who look at CCR and say what we're doing is unrealistic for most people because of the price. So, this is an attempt to change that perspective. Yes, there will be sponsors - you don't work for free do you? Someone will be trying to sell something, which no one is making you buy. What we really want to capture more than anything, is the social side of the garage. I want guys to hang out, drink some beer, laugh at the mistakes, laugh at other peoples mistakes, and then be done by dinner time. Real life... Not "Reality TV".

GOT IT.....your kinda like my wife.....asks for my input, then busts my nuts when I give it.

I just felt there are some real craftsman out there, building some trick stuff, and THAT would be an attention getter....tuning in to see something new...in progress ....even updates... without the drama (most build shows)........ but your nickel, so if showing the social side of a hot-rodding is what you and sponsors (money guys) want to capture....no problemo (please bare with me...I'm still trying to learn Spanish)

I kinda-maybe know what you mean about turning ideas into a finished product....I got one sitting in my garage.

Best of luck with the new show,
Mopar to ya'
Denny

BTW ...the "list" comment was a little harsh, don't ya think??

GOT IT.....your kinda like my wife.....asks for my input, then busts my nuts when I give it.

I just felt there are some real craftsman out there, building some trick stuff, and THAT would be an attention getter....tuning in to see something new...in progress ....even updates... without the drama (most build shows)........ but your nickel, so if showing the social side of a hot-rodding is what you and sponsors (money guys) want to capture....no problemo (please bare with me...I'm still trying to learn Spanish)

I kinda-maybe know what you mean about turning ideas into a finished product....I got one sitting in my garage.

Best of luck with the new show,
Mopar to ya'
Denny

BTW ...the "list" comment was a little harsh, don't ya think??

Hey Denny,

I do appreciate the input and didn't mean to bust your nut over it. Sorry for being harsh! Long day!!:eek:ops:

You are correct. There are some excellent craftsmen out there. We've always believed and supported showing as many as possible. If you notice, we change shops/builders every season on our show. We do have some come back but, that's worthy too.

Dan, this looks like something I would enjoy watching. Just make sure you keep the parts in the show where the plan goes to plan B or worse because something doesn't go as smoothly as it should. I go out in the garage with a plan and end up going to get some special item I need because my crap is rust-welded together and then I break a bolt then have to fire up the torches/cut off wheels.........and so on. I hate how the current shows loosen a couple screws and then whalla! it's installed. Need to show how trouble is overcome (without looking like total fools). Allowing some unprofessional but competent talent like HemiDenny refers to allowing them to assist would be a good way to show this. Do it with humo(u)r eh! and it would be entertaining.

Excellent ideas! We're hoping to get Harbor Freight as a sponsor on this. That's a company who really targets the weekend warriors. I'd also like to get Pick A Part involved and put on some used stuff too! I'll be bugging the Rev to come by from time to time and contribute to the job and the emptying of my fridge!

Labatts would be an awesome sponsor!! Molson would step in due to NHL lockout, but then you would need White Swan to step up as well as y'all would get the Molson Mule Squirts!

Dan, I just started watching the show and a few reruns. It's refreshing to watch something without the made up stupid drama. It's all about the cars. Keep up the good work!

Dan. I met you at the mopar nats this year, you were walking across the tent to go sign autographs and talk to a long line of people, I managed to catch you before you got to all of them and had you sign my little book right next to Mr Norms name. It was pleasure to meet you. But if you want to keep this as a "real" garage for the average person. Then just look thru all the threads here. From the simplest of how do you get the latch assembly off of the glove compartment door, to what have I got myself into. I think using Harbor Freight is a great idea. Everyone knows there's Snap-on, Mac, Blueline, Craftsman.. etc, in the realm of tools but, truth is those of us who have them also know if you want to "customize a tool" you use one of Harbor Freights before you'll use one of the well known ones. Throwing in the social aspect of having friends/buddies over to help is a great idea, sometimes very little gets accomplished, other times its a comedy because everyone is just having fun at what they like doing, but the wealth of knowledge some of them give is worth listening too more than just turning a wrench. Look at some of the threads in here on what some people have fab'd up in their own garage with ordinary tools, truly amazing.. Just some thoughts....for you. You'll appeal to more when you keep it at the level of here's what I got, this is all I can afford, and I ain't got a clue how to do it, but I'm gonna do it anyways with what I have. In the realm of endless funds/open checkbooks we all know the end result will usually be better than what the car was after it rolled off the assembly line, and about that time here comes the commercial to yank us all back to reality, because we realize I can't afford that.. I've said all this to say keep it simple, make it fun, show the frustrations, keep it lighthearted, don't show us a part then go to a commercial and when you get back, the engine has been fully assembled, headers are on and the engine is running and some one is tooling down the road saying "wasn't that easy"! So I'm looking forward to your "new adventure" and wish you the best..

(Tim)

Dan, thinking back on "the old days," I was reminded of the way we did projects in those times. Car in garage, buds coming over to lend a hand, drinking some beers and, er, well, we'll just leave it at the beers. On some evenings, we did more BSing than real work, depending on a lot of variables, and did a lot of work on other evenings and hung out later.

The funny thing is that this was the way we all did projects back then.

Dan, thinking back on "the old days," I was reminded of the way we did projects in those times. Car in garage, buds coming over to lend a hand, drinking some beers and, er, well, we'll just leave it at the beers. On some evenings, we did more BSing than real work, depending on a lot of variables, and did a lot of work on other evenings and hung out later.

The funny thing is that this was the way we all did projects back then.

That is exactly what I'm trying to capture in this series. That sense of fun and friendship that we share in this kind of environment. Someone called it "Bench Racing" the other day, which I think is a perfect description. I'm in Orlando right now, attending the PRI show and the sponsors who I've talked to about this think it's great too!

I've told them it's as simple as bring a part over you want us to see, bring the vehicle you want to install it on (or, we'll find one for you), and BRING BEER!

Gee... Fishbreath said in 3 sentences what it took me 17 to say.. So yeah.. what fishbreath said!

Looking forward to this shop update Chop Cut Rebuild style :coffee2:

If you have a friend (four legged friend) a floor wash bay (short and out of the way) wash bay with a trap
(trap for small washers an juck) is one thing I would do in my new shop, good to wash parts off or your wet
muddy boots we all get. then if there is a green house plant in the house I or she can wash these out in the garage.
Me I am subscribed :glasses7:

Attachments

• Autuuum o12 010.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 239
I love the concept.......I live the Family First (wife & 3 girls, 4 jack russels', cat, bird) life, and work on Cars & Trucks all day for my local Dodge Dealership monday thru friday...... for the ability to then work on my Duster, Dart Sport, friends toys, my motorcycle, my lawnmower....whatever needs attention.

And you gotta love mechanical things to do that!!!

I really like the concept of it being more of the social side. Sometimes it's more about your friends helping you get a project done than ability. I do this schtuff for a living and if left to my own devices I probably wouldn't get any of my home projects done.

Yeah, give me a shout. If I'm not burning my own garage down, I'll stop by.

(Oh, and those fire extinguishers you took were empty, we just thought you were being nice and throwing them out for us.) :D

That is exactly what I'm trying to capture in this series. That sense of fun and friendship that we share in this kind of environment. Someone called it "Bench Racing" the other day, which I think is a perfect description. I'm in Orlando right now, attending the PRI show and the sponsors who I've talked to about this think it's great too!

I've told them it's as simple as bring a part over you want us to see, bring the vehicle you want to install it on (or, we'll find one for you), and BRING BEER!

Bench racing was indeed hangin around the workbench, mouthin about how fast our cars were...or how much HP we had.....remarkably, we rarely required anyone prove it. It goes hand in hand with the railbirds.....the guys that hang on the fence/guard rail at the racetrack talking about how fast they are gonna be. They would NEVER be caught sleeping at the line or red lighting although they had never even taken a pass (down the 1/4mile).

We had plenty of guys that drank beer when they worked on their car.....like the guy down the block ( big block 70 1/2 Camaro) that decided since his car looked good with the rear end jacked up (hey, it was the early 70's) that he installed shackles on the front of his leaf springs too.....he po-goed the car when the driveshaft came flying out when he hit the brakes....40 years ago, and I'm still laughing. Wonder how many Strohs' (Detroit's Finest) he had coming up with that brilliant idea.

Bro John could fill a book with some dandy TRUE tales of the late 60's early 70's....as I'm sure most could.

Yea, when I can afford a 100k + build I can probably get my mug on TV also. What Dan and the other "TV hosts" doesn't seem to understand is that a lot of the "everyday Joes" on this site and countless others like it can't afford to build what they build. Besides, we don't get our parts donated to us, nor do we get major labor for free. We aren't a TV worthy builder shop because most of us do our own work and what we can't do we trade with other fellow rodders. Besides the above mention stuff, "most" of the cars on this site are not TRAILER QUEENS that never see the roads.

Rant over!!!

-
Back