Christmas Gift Help Please

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The members here helped me a couple of years ago with my Christmas shopping and I need some help again.

I need to buy a new bench vise for Christmas. I'd like to stay away from China / Harbor Freight on this one. I don't want to break the bank, but want to find something that will take some abuse :violent1:. I'm not even opposed to a used one from Craigslist.

Teach me what I need to know here........Also, which style is better, the square or round whatchamacallit :scratch:

My workbench mounted vise did come from China. Purchased at local flea market long before there was a Harbor Freight around here.
It has had plenty of use and abuse.
Considering what shipping would cost...

Finding something like a "good" bench vise on a budget is not easy. Because of the huge influx of chinkese CRAPPOLA into the shop equipment market (and eveerything else) it's very difficult not to spend a chunk on a "GOOD" piece of metal. Not to mention the rising cost of scrap. You might look here:

http://www.mile-x.com/wilton-columbian-bench-vises.aspx

As you can see, they are not cheap, but they are GOOD, QUALITY.....AMERICAN MADE vises. One of those will literally last his lifetime and probably longer.

This would be a nice one:

http://www.mile-x.com/wilton-1755-tradesman-vise.aspx

Free shippin, too. That thing has gotta be heavy.

Not all vises are created equal. Check out the local farm supply store. Just make sure the rear jaw extends enough past the mounting base so long pieces can be clamped upright without interference from the front edge of the workbench. Good luck.

I hear what you're saying about shipping costs. I'm hoping to find something local to avoid those add'l $$.

We've bought some things from Harbor Freight, but mostly tools that don't get used very often or won't be abused. Your flea market find sounds like it's been a good one.

Thanks for your input RedFish.

shipping will probably be a killer. Look local, craigslist is probably a good place to start. Maybe find a shop going out of business Ii got mine from a dealership that was closing down, for free !

Finding something like a "good" bench vise on a budget is not easy. Because of the huge influx of chinkese CRAPPOLA into the shop equipment market (and eveerything else) it's very difficult not to spend a chunk on a "GOOD" piece of metal. Not to mention the rising cost of scrap. You might look here:

http://www.mile-x.com/wilton-columbian-bench-vises.aspx

As you can see, they are not cheap, but they are GOOD, QUALITY.....AMERICAN MADE vises. One of those will literally last his lifetime and probably longer.

This would be a nice one:

http://www.mile-x.com/wilton-1755-tradesman-vise.aspx

Free shippin, too. That thing has gotta be heavy.

Thanks for the links SS. I hear ya on the Chinese stuff. I try to avoid it when I can, but it's getting more difficult......... I love the Wilton in your 2nd link, but not sure I can justify the $$. Maybe if I can find a used one LOL

Find one with the pipe jaws too. May not need it but its handy to have when you do.

I'll keep that in mind. I don't think we've ever had one with the pipe jaws. Thanks for the tip!

Not all vises are created equal. Check out the local farm supply store. Just make sure the rear jaw extends enough past the mounting base so long pieces can be clamped upright without interference from the front edge of the workbench. Good luck.

hmmmm, Local farm supply store. That may be harder to find here than a used Wilton for under a hundred ;-), but I'll check. Thanks for the info on the rear jaw barge.

I did learn that the "whatchamacallit" that I referenced in my 1st post is called the slide. I'm still not sure what the difference is though, or if one style is better than the other.

shipping will probably be a killer. Look local, craigslist is probably a good place to start. Maybe find a shop going out of business Ii got mine from a dealership that was closing down, for free !

Thx Adam, I actually was looking on craigslist this morning. I don't see anything that looks interesting. I would love to find a good used one...... Free is a lucky find 8).

If anyone sees something decent on this list, I'll follow up on it!!

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=18&subAreaID=&query=vise&catAbb=sss

I will keep an eye on that area 6pk C :happy10:, I found the one I have in my old blue truck covered with leaves made in Ohio I think :happy10:
But we all know where my good tools go 8) Creeds shop :toothy10:

You could maybe even place a wanted ad to find an older"real steel"one.Then paint it your disired color.We know you,ve gots the talent C.Good luck with your search.:toothy10:

Try going to Google and looking up a company called Rex Supply. I don't know if the are in your area, but they handle mostly tools geared toward machinists. I bought a bench vise from them tears ago and and it's stiil in good shape despite the licking it's taken over the years.

Demonracer

I will keep an eye on that area 6pk C :happy10:, I found the one I have in my old blue truck covered with leaves made in Ohio I think :happy10:
But we all know where my good tools go 8) Creeds shop :toothy10:

LOL....Nice of you Mike to "lend" your good tools to Creed. Yep, if I can find one that's made in USA, that's what I'm after!

You could maybe even place a wanted ad to find an older"real steel"one.Then paint it your disired color.We know you,ve gots the talent C.Good luck with your search.:toothy10:

Maybe I'll try a wanted ad on craigslist and paint it like you said. Great idea!! Thx petty

Demonracer, Thanks for the info! It looks like Rex Supply is based in TX, so I still would have to pay shipping. I'm trying to avoid that expense and hassle if possible. What brand did you buy?

Flea market or garage sales. You can tell the old good ones; dirty, don't rust, heavy as crap. I have a bud that has the time for estate sales; I can't believe the tools/ shelving he gets for next to nothing. All people there just want old furniture, it seems. He got 2 vises for $25, almost new oven for $20, microwave $10, fridge $40 , at the last one. All for his shop. The sale/auction was on a thurs or friday, and he was off. He has bought 4 toolchests 5' high, good quality, you can tell from ex-mechanic- $100 apiece, usually. And the tools..... it almost makes me sick, what I paid in the 70's, when I was wrenching for a living.

The members here helped me a couple of years ago with my Christmas shopping and I need some help again.

I need to buy a new bench vise for Christmas. I'd like to stay away from China / Harbor Freight on this one. I don't want to break the bank, but want to find something that will take some abuse :violent1:. I'm not even opposed to a used one from Craigslist.

Teach me what I need to know here........Also, which style is better, the square or round whatchamacallit :scratch:

C...Apparently,they stock Wilton at Sears. Do you have a Sears near you?

Man, they are spendy,eh???...Here's one of the cheaper ones....

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM223943997P?prdNo=12&blockNo=12&blockType=G12

OUCH......Ain't happening 65Val. Yes, plenty of Sears stores here, but not in the Christmas budget this year :toothy10:. Thanks for your input. I've been searching craigslist and I should have thought of this gift earlier dang it.

nothing wrong with a harbor freight one, mine has been working great for years.

I found a pretty nice older 6" vise on craigslist today. I took it over to a friend's house after I bought it and he said it just needed some TLC.......:-D

I have been searching craigslist daily and today I decided to misspell vise. I put V I C E in the searchbox.....LOL

I'll post some pics after I clean it up a bit. Thanks everyone for your help!!

Merry Christmas

I bought the biggest one they had at harbor freight,a few years ago, and I beat the crap out of it at work. It has held up great. Without breaking the bank, I would go to harbor freight and use the 20% off coupon. MMG

Hey Cheryl, one of the best/strongest bench vises I've ever worked with is a Record, they're made in England, a little pricey but not to bad and tuff as nails. You can even get them with a quick release, spring loaded lever that allows the head to go from full open to full closed and back again all day long, like I said these things are tuff as nails. I know where I can get them in Canada but still searching U.S. and Merry Christmas darling.

Thank you Terry for your input! Sounds like a really NICE vise. I've never heard of a Record. Send me a link when you have a chance.......

I found one on craigslist today that I mentioned earlier in this thread. It's not perfect, but will make a nice surprise for Christmas morning :icon_smi:

I just have to clean and oil it. And some sanding too :happy10:

I spent a couple of hours today w/ a Dremel, sandpaper and steel wool. Dang, this thing is heavy. I'm thinking to leave the patina and not paint it? I couldn't find a brand or anything on it, but I hope it will work for now.

Attachments

• Christmas Vise 005.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 74
-
Back