Chrome Painted Fiberglass Bumpers!!

-
You wont find many paint instructions that say dry spray and then rub with a cloth for a brighter shine.
The greatest savings would be restoring pitted potmetal parts. All the original chrome gets sandblasted off then the pits and chips repaired with epoxy or whatever. A smooth surface is most important. Any imperfections are amplified by the chrome.
Parts like bumpers and rear view mirrors catch a lot of wear from wind and other elements so a fresh coat of clear may be needed periodicly.
The killer chrome looks fine on my armrest bases and such but it didn't quite satisfy me on the instrument bezel.

It took quite a bit of practice and of course trail and error but i like the stuff! Looks real good when done properly IMO.

What were the bumpers cleaned with before the first coat of chrome paint? The glass bumper on my Dart is black, I can't seem to find a color that would look with green.

You wont find many paint instructions that say dry spray and then rub with a cloth for a brighter shine.
The greatest savings would be restoring pitted potmetal parts. All the original chrome gets sandblasted off then the pits and chips repaired with epoxy or whatever. A smooth surface is most important. Any imperfections are amplified by the chrome.
Parts like bumpers and rear view mirrors catch a lot of wear from wind and other elements so a fresh coat of clear may be needed periodicly.
The killer chrome looks fine on my armrest bases and such but it didn't quite satisfy me on the instrument bezel.

Hell, the savings would be worth it for potmetal parts, especially if you're willing to be patient and do the prep yourself. I was quoted $200 a piece for hubcovers for an '81 Jeep J10 stepside, Honcho package. $800 to replate 4 hupcaps? Pardon me?

That's what I love about this site. Been out of loop for a while on some of this stuff. Now I know how to get the chrome look on fiberglass for Jamison's Duster and my E-body. Thanks, man, they look great!

What were the bumpers cleaned with before the first coat of chrome paint? The glass bumper on my Dart is black, I can't seem to find a color that would look with green.
I had to spread some evercoat to smooth the glass bumpers first to make them as smooth as possible. Then I primed and sanded with 800grit wet-dry, shot 2 overreduced coats of ppg sealer. After the sealer flashed i shot 2 heavy coats of ppg dbc black basecoat, let that flash then clearcoat. Let dry overnight!! Wet sand with 1000-1200 grit wet-dry then buff to high gloss. Then mist several coats of the chrome till desired finish!! LIGHT MIST COATS!! Let this dry(I let it dry overnight) and reclearcoat. Done!

It's Guys Like You That Make This Whole Website Even More Valuable Than It Already Is.

Awesome Work!!!

Just a heads up guys. I just got e-mail notice from Alsa Corp. killer cans buy one get one free ( still about 20.00 per can ) and 10% of goes to breast cancer reseach. They are also boasting a new improved killer chrome formula :)

Just a heads up guys. I just got e-mail notice from Alsa Corp. killer cans buy one get one free ( still about 20.00 per can ) and 10% of goes to breast cancer reseach. They are also boasting a new improved killer chrome formula :)

got a phone number or E MAIL address???

Has anyone tried this yet? What were the results? I think I'm going to give this try myself.

Photos of the Fiberglass bumpers are at the begining of this thread on the first page. Enjoy!! There are several threads within that give detailed instruction as well.

How well does this stand up to the elements? Will it dull in a matter of months?

Its just basecoat. Once you clearcoat over it it will last as long as you color finish. Of course it is a front bumper so if you spot rock chips you will ned to touchup those spots accordingly. After the 90 cure cycle for the clearcoat you can keep a fresh coat of wax on it.

OK, I'm going to give this a try. I was talking it over with my wife last night. I really can't afford to have my bumpers done right now. This looks like a great alternative. Prep would work is going to be the hardest to get all of the old chrome off.

How well does this stand up to the elements? Will it dull in a matter of months?

Ummm no..... you couldn't.

I just noticed your entry,

For the last time, it's not a Nova, it's a Dodge Dart Sport idiot! :thebirdm:

Everytime i went to the track they also called my 66 Falcon a Nova, pissed me off! Yeah, i know. Its at least a Ford Fast-On-Race Day.

Just think how this would look on some grilles such as a Sharkstooth or any plastic trim peices. Your imagination would be the limit. I think I'll try a can

-
Back