Chrome Painted Fiberglass Bumpers!!

-
They look great. But for the common backyard guy, to buy all the material and spend all the time in prep, and to complete. I can work a part time job and inthat amount of time make about enough to get the rechromed. Maybe I'm lazy. But they do look good.

Looks great in the photo. How does it compare to an actual chrome bumper? I'd love to see a photo of yours next to a real bumper to see the difference.

i ordered it for my fiberglass bumpers about a month ago and havent had time to do the process yet i cant wait

They look great. But for the common backyard guy, to buy all the material and spend all the time in prep, and to complete. I can work a part time job and inthat amount of time make about enough to get the rechromed. Maybe I'm lazy. But they do look good.

They're also glass :-D

Haha, I can't get over how good these look!

WOW! That looks very nice. I wanted to get glass bumpers for my Dart but don't like body color bumpers and I just could not bring my self to mexican chrome them. But now I think I will get me a set and try this out.

WOW! That looks very nice. I wanted to get glass bumpers for my Dart but don't like body color bumpers and I just could not bring my self to mexican chrome them. But now I think I will get me a set and try this out.

Do they have an actual chroming process for glass bumpers? I didn't think they could chrome them... would be news to me. But this is still a lot cheaper, haha.

You could vacuum plate them but that sure would be expensive. That might be what superdart360 is referring to.

There was an article in Mopar Action of them redoing the Green Brick Valiant. In that issue they spotlighted a guy using his secret multi-stage spray process to chrome their fiberglass bumpers. They looked very realistic in the photos

I just used 3 @ $39.95 cans of chrome. I used my own PPG black basecoat and PPG2021 clear.

Gotcha. So it looks like iit would be three kits (@ $115/ea) for me since I don't have any basecoat or clear lying around (which would be the cost of having one of the bumpers professionally rechromed around here). Again, they came out really nice.

Gotcha. So it looks like iit would be three kits (@ $115/ea) for me since I don't have any basecoat or clear lying around (which would be the cost of having one of the bumpers professionally rechromed around here). Again, they came out really nice.

2 KITS, 1 EXTRA CAN OF CHROME..

Those things look awesome!! be sure to add some photos of them on the car so we can see how they look.

2 KITS, 1 EXTRA CAN OF CHROME..

have you priced chroming your bumper lately ?? your saying 350.00,,,more like double that..at a good chrome shop with a warranty,,and no headaches on what they will look like when you get them back,,,

i just had tail lite housings rechromed,,pauls chrome,,these housings were in exellent condition,,with very minor pitting cast 700.00 to rechrome,,life time warranty

that spray looks great

Guys,
This stuff is very touchy!! It took me a while to perfect their instructions. They have since revised them. The first time i used it it was a flop! I sprayed it to heavy and it looked aluminum paint. The trick is to mist it on at about 8 to 10 inches away from the surface while moving at a moderate pace. Less is better. Main thing is to get an even pattern/coat so you hide the black and it will look great. I also found that if you let it dry 24 hours before you top coat it with the clearcoat it will enhance the depth. I have not cleared these bumpers yet. Again the slicker the surface the better it will turn out. I would say when they are completed that they are 90% reflectivity of traditional chrome plating. If you try to use this on steel bumpers you will need to sand old chrome with 180 D.A. and then a light coat of acid etch then prime-block-seal-base-clear-wetsand-buff-then chrome-reclear-wetsand then buff. It is impressive but daunting at the begining. Patience is key!! Don't rush through it! This stuff is too expensive to screw up. I did, but i got it down now! I am going to restore my instrument cluster housing and installing WhitefaceGauges vinyl kit with the blue LED's. Will post pics of this too! I know rechroming has got expensive but I didn't think it would cost 700 for bumpers. I had my front bumper from my 65 Galaxie straightened and rechromed for $85 about ten years ago at a place hear in Houston called DC Bumper.

That is beautiful work! I am very impressed!
Pat

There is a company somewhere that plates glass bumpers. I know its not cheap, though.

DusterDon, see my other post in this thread (#40), is that the company? I'd like to do that, but if I'm going to spend a lot, I want to know it'll be worht it.

-
Back