Chrome stat housing

-

ram250098

69 Barracuda
Reaction score
I had a small crack in my thermostat housing and was calling around performance shops looking for one..all they carry is Chebbys. I tend not to check the dealer because in past they have been more expensive. I called the local Dodge dealer and they had one in stock....chrome to boot. Now I picked it up this morn and what a deal. The housing has nice chrome, comes with a gasket, two new bolts and a few stickers, The cost $19 bucks Canadian, tell me a speed shop can beat that price.
I think the state that Chrysler is in before checking any performance shop check your local dealer first.
AL

Make sure to use silicone,I had the same one useing the gasket only.No seal,took it off and used silicone with the gasket,it,s sealed now!

Good luck with it. I've never seen a chrome neck that didn't leak. I don't know why somebody doesn't do something about that. Maybe they have, and you have one?

I use a Summit brand chrome t-stat housing, it cost like 10 bucks. I have an O-ring seal on it along with the normal gasket w/ silicone and I've never had any leaks.

Since the car was cert and on the road I have only had it out once, I tried to find one local because I want to drive the thing LOL.
I used ultra black on both sides of the gasket just to be sure...I have been down that road before. *G*
AL

Good luck with it. I've never seen a chrome neck that didn't leak. I don't know why somebody doesn't do something about that. Maybe they have, and you have one?

I agree mine sprayed like hell. I sanded it flat with 400 grit sand paper set on glass and it still leaked. I just painted a factory one sliver and threw the chrome one in the metal bin.

i had to use aviation gasket maker to get mine to seal. even tried to scuff the bottom first with no luck. Not big on silicone b/c you never know where its gonna ooze out at.

Ya just threw your $$ away. They leak no mater what ya do. Take it to the lake and skip it across the water. Bet it doesn't skip once, then sinks.

The only way I ever got chrome water necks to seal was a tip from dad: remove the o-ring altogether and fill the channel with silicone, and then silicone the rest of the gasket surface like normal.

Good luck!

Gezz talk about getting beat down before ya even try LOL.
I got faith in old ma Mopar LOL.
This didn't have an O ring cudachick it has the indentation for the stat to sit in like the stock housings.
But I indeed did what your dad did.
I ran it up to 200* and all looks good....boy I hope I can prove ya all wrong....I could use a break about now, after being hit with that $1,200 cert bill. ugg.
AL

ive never seen a mopar t stat housing with a O-RING,, mopar not has a aluminum 90 degree t stat water neck,,just polish it,,or get an orignal one and have it powder coated,,,in brite aluminum,

Well unlike everyone else... I hope it works out great for you.
Good luck
(I have no experience with chrome stat housings though lol)

74Dart, I didn't say they were affordable, just available with an o-ring for a Mopar. (What, ya thought you were workin on a Chevy or something??? lmao!)

I have a summit one and I also have not been able to stop the leak. I am willing to try the OEM one. Do you have a part #? Thanks

the link provided comes up as a chevy t housing,, mopar performance has a billet 90 degree t stat housing,,it is also adjustable ,, and is 28 bucks thru mancini,,,altho a chevy housing has the same bolt pattern,,they are designed totally different,,,

i use a chevy housing on my blower motor,,but i had the housing machined to accept a mopar thermostat,, now that mopar offers a 90 degree neck,, iwill switch it over

-
Back