Cigarette Lighter on '66 Barracuda

-

66RedFish

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out whether the cigarette lighter on my '66 Barracuda (mounted under the dash below the radio) is original or not. I understand a lighter was an option on these cars, but that they were not too common. The build sheet is under the back seat, but I'm not able to get a good look at it to see whether the lighter is listed or not. I could not find any manufacturer markings on the lighter itself.

Could someone post a photo of a lighter known to be original or at least describe what it should look like or where it would be mounted?

I plan to remove it if it isn't original.

Thanks.

Steve

My 66 Plymouth Valiant had a plug for one where I put my tachometer, Right above the ash tray.
I was bleeding the back brakes by my self on this day

Attachments

• Axle bearing change 092.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 390
Thanks for the responses. I've now tracked down other dealer literature suggesting that lighters were standard equipment. But I haven't yet found a stock photo of an original dash showing where it would be positioned. Below the dash would (I think) get in the way of an AC unit. But there doesn't seem to be any place in the dash itself where it could go. The Valiant dash in '66 was definitely different from the Barracuda, from what I can see in the photo that was posted.

Steve

Here is a 66 and the ash try is in the same place, I don't see one, bit could it be under the tack.. cool hood to.

Still looking

Thank you Moe =D>

Attachments

• $(KGrHqYOKpcE4vZ!uLtQBON!KuFeug~~0_12.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 365
  • $(KGrHqYOKpUE4kQ-BlwSBON!Klqbi!~~0_12.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 356
brochures were known to have mistakes
I HAVE an actual original 1966 barracuda not a brochure and it has no lighter, nor does it have a provision to place a lighter, I have always wondered about this as it makes no sense, back then all cars I thought had lighters, mine does have an ashtray,
I am very curious to get to the bottom of this mystery

Attachments

• ashtray 006.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 362
  • ashtray 005.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 335
  • ashtray 004.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 338
  • ashtray 003.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 365
  • ashtray 002.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 364
  • ashtray 001.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 375
brochures were known to have mistakes
I HAVE an actual original 1966 barracuda not a brochure and it has no lighter, nor does it have a provision to place a lighter, I have always wondered about this as it makes no sense, back then all cars I thought had lighters, mine does have an ashtray,
I am very curious to get to the bottom of this mystery

The cigar lighter was attached to the lower lip of the dash to the right of the steering column. It is possible it could have been removed over the years. Seems to me it would be in the way.
~Michael

31292670004_large.jpg

You can see it mounted to this 66 dash.

caferacerx I wonder if yours was removed to install what looks like a choke cable.

~Michael

that look's like an after market add on
if that is the way they came from the factory no wonder so many are missing
perhaps with all the redesigning they did for the 66, new dash, grill. fenders, quarters, bumpers, someone forgot to design a spot for the lighter so they just added it under the dash like that
now I wont feel bad putting one from pep boys there so I can charge my cell phone
thanks for the pic and for clearing up that mystery

Yup, they look cheesy but that is how they came. However, my dads 66 Cuda does not have a dash mounted one but there is one in the console, maybe console cars didn't have the dash mounted one.

Yup, they look cheesy but that is how they came. However, my dads 66 Cuda does not have a dash mounted one but there is one in the console, maybe console cars didn't have the dash mounted one.

that makes sense
perhaps they originally intended for all barracuda models to have console's standard as the all came with bucket seats standard in 66

i took this one out of a 66 barracuda. it is an original one

Attachments

• 66 barracuda parts 026.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 331
I've been trying to figure out whether the cigarette lighter on my '66 Barracuda (mounted under the dash below the radio) is original or not. I understand a lighter was an option on these cars, but that they were not too common. The build sheet is under the back seat, but I'm not able to get a good look at it to see whether the lighter is listed or not. I could not find any manufacturer markings on the lighter itself.

Could someone post a photo of a lighter known to be original or at least describe what it should look like or where it would be mounted?

Thanks.
..................................................................................................
Here's one I have in a '66 Barracuda slant 6 3speed on the column car. This one is just a hair left of center of the radio opening. It was a low mileage virgin when I bought it 27 years ago so I don't think it's an add-on unless the dealer did it when it was new but it's painted the same color as the dash so that's unlikely. I've seen many others in '66 Barracudas over the years that all looked like this one. It's held on with 2 phillips head screws. All my other ones are console cars so they have the lighter under the slide cover.

Attachments

• 100_0833.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 325

Thanks.
..................................................................................................
Here's one I have in a '66 Barracuda slant 6 3speed on the column car. This one is just a hair left of center of the radio opening. It was a low mileage virgin when I bought it 27 years ago so I don't think it's an add-on unless the dealer did it when it was new but it's painted the same color as the dash so that's unlikely. I've seen many others in '66 Barracudas over the years that all looked like this one. It's held on with 2 phillips head screws. All my other ones are console cars so they have the lighter under the slide cover.

Cudamark that certainly appears to be a factory lighter. I compared it to the photos shown and they look the same. When I look at the pictures of the dash I posted I can see the mounting holes that would correspond to the location of the lighter in your picture. You wouldn't happen to have a photo of the lower lip of that dash just to the right of the steering column would you? Curious if the one I posted has been moved.

My 66 has one mounted under the factory under dash ac.

Attachments

• 100_1312%20%28Medium%29.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 307
Thats the same lighter as in my 65. Silver and knurled rim. But mine was up next to the heater control, different of course than a 66.

Yes, the '66 Barracuda came with a standard cigarette lighter mounted under the dash. Here's a page from the owner's manual.
Man21900h419.jpg

-
Back