Circuit board

-

kg340

Reaction score
Cleaning up the gauge assembly on my 73 Duster, circuit board doesn't look too great. I have a spare cluster from 76 Scamp, will the circuit boards interchange? The 76 has 2 extra pins on main connector, Are these for the EGR light? I found new boards listed for 72-75 and one for 76 only?

I can't speak to the specifics of the boards, but the '76 circuits are arranged differently than the earlier cars. The ammeter, which isn't really on the board, but may attach to it, must have an external shunt. The switched power is also different. Again I don't know if there were changes to the instrument board itself but there may have been.

If it isn't "burned" from shorts/ current or seriously water damaged, I'd think you can save it. Post a photo or two? A good clear closeup?

There was rust between the board and the metal housing, I think I will dig out both the dash harnesses this weekend and check out the plugs, might have to switch around some of the wires. The 76 board and housing are in better shape, I will probably use them, I have the wiring diagram for the 73 and somewhere on here there is one for 76. Thanks for all the help guys.

Your earlier amp gauge has 2 very large wires attached with ring terminals. The 76 model wont have a place for those. I'm pretty sure the remote shunt designed allowed the amp gauge connections to be smaller wires through the round harness/board connector.
Since madelectrical bypass disconnects the amp gauge anyway what you are trying might be doable.
I seem to recall that the latest model inst bezel is different from earlier. Longer maybe? My memory fails me. Test fit it in the earlier dash before proceeding.

'76 ammeter might still use ring terminals. I haven't seen the back of one.
It's critical not to hook up a '76 ammeter like the earlier internally shunted ones. It must use an external shunt.
1976 power scheme look something like this.
upload_2019-9-8_17-26-52.png

Also Tony (whitepunknitro) has posted that Chrysler changed the type of connectors the used in '74-'75. I don't know if this includes connectors to the circuit board but somehting else to keep an eye out for.

I cleaned up the 73 board, I decided to use that and use all the individual gauges from the 76 (minus the amp meter), and keep my 73 harness, as the 76 bulk head connector is different. THANK YOU EVERYBODY FOR THE HELP!!!:usflag:

-
Back