clark welders

-

dukeboy440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any experience with Clark Welders, bought one from a local farm store a while back, having all sorts of problems with it.

I've had mine for 5 years. No problems. What model is yours? Mine is 220 vt. Can't remember the model. But if you need to know, I'll check it when I get out to the shop.

I've had mine for 5 years. No problems. What model is yours? Mine is 220 vt. Can't remember the model. But if you need to know, I'll check it when I get out to the shop.

Mine's a 160 EN 220 Volt. I've got years of welding experience with no issues until my lincoln crapped out and i bought this thing. I can't keep a solid, smooth weld going, the spark is literally chattering, I've played with the wire speed on all 9 settings, as well as the other settings. It acts like a dang machine gun the way its sparking up.

Does it pull the wire smoothly? I had a cheapo chinese welder that I could never get to feed the wire smooth. A couple feet and then it would start to drag and mess up the weld.
C

I'll throw this in....

Check your wire feed? Maybe the liner is clogging up on you.
Try a different brand / spool of wire?
Bad gas (if using)?

I'll throw this in....

Check your wire feed? Maybe the liner is clogging up on you.
Try a different brand / spool of wire?
Bad gas (if using)?

Wire seems to speed smoothly.

I've tried Clark's own brand and Hobart's brand, both same results

No Gas, flux core only.

Is it possible that by welding on 3/16th steel is too much for this thing? It's supposed to be good for 3/8th

Mine's a 160 EN 220 Volt. I've got years of welding experience with no issues until my lincoln crapped out and i bought this thing. I can't keep a solid, smooth weld going, the spark is literally chattering, I've played with the wire speed on all 9 settings, as well as the other settings. It acts like a dang machine gun the way its sparking up.

Mine is a 180 EN. I use 75/25 gas on mine. I'm still teaching myself to weld, so I'm probably not the best one to ask if it's working correctly. I do know that my welds are beginning to look better though. LOL

Mine is a 180 EN. I use 75/25 gas on mine. I'm still teaching myself to weld, so I'm probably not the best one to ask if it's working correctly. I do know that my welds are beginning to look better though. LOL

Did yours come with the gas kit or did you purchase it as a standalone kit? I've not been able to track down the conversion kit for mine.

Yup, came with everything but the tank. I got mine from ISN, my wholesale tool supplier. Even came with a cheap welding helmet.

Is it possible that by welding on 3/16th steel is too much for this thing? It's supposed to be good for 3/8th

That machine should handle 3/16" without issues I would think.

Loosen up the driver and pull some wire through by hand to "feel" for hang ups.

Is your ground cable clamp and it's connection to the cable tight?

Have you tried welding on some "different" steel and seen the same results?

Shut the power circuit down and check welder plug for loose connections along with the outlet and breaker.

That machine should handle 3/16" without issues I would think.

Loosen up the driver and pull some wire through by hand to "feel" for hang ups.

Is your ground cable clamp and it's connection to the cable tight?

Have you tried welding on some "different" steel and seen the same results?

Shut the power circuit down and check welder plug for loose connections along with the outlet and breaker.

I've tried a couple other pieces of angle iron i had laying around, but they were the same thickness. I'm gonna get some 20 ga sheet and see what happens. I'll also try these steps and hopefully one of them fixes it.

I was having a similar problem,, and found that when the spool of wire was installed,, the label covering the centre hole had not been removed, just crammed over the spindle, and the label was stuck to the inner side hole of the spool and binding.. so the wire would come at sporatic speeds,, check the inside of the spool, clean as nec,, AND never install a spool without removing the nec label..

hope it helps

there is also a roller guide that can be flipped for different size wire on mine.

sounds like how my 10 year old HOBART HANDLER weds, tried everything ..... welds like chit!!!!!! has for the last 10 years !!

Yeah my lincoln was almost 40 years old before it went out. I'd love another but to get a comparable model is gonna run me over a grand

I have the little Craftsman 85 amp mig. It's made by Clark. Best welder I have ever owned and I had a huge Millermatic that crapped out before I got this one for father's day. The Miller could certainly handle heavier stuff, but the Craftsman is much more precise. The only one time I ever had a problem.....and it was VERY similar to what you describe was when I used an under rated extension cord.

What Dave 69 posted. Double check the ground.
Another thing does the wire look deformed coming out of the tip crushed. Tension could be to tight or to loose.
A general way to test if you don't have enough feed pressure is to pull some wire thru bend it slightly then place I against your palm. Pull the trigger. The wire should feed. If not increase tension on rollers if it pushes to fast back off the tension.

What Dave 69 posted. Double check the ground.
Another thing does the wire look deformed coming out of the tip crushed. Tension could be to tight or to loose.
A general way to test if you don't have enough feed pressure is to pull some wire thru bend it slightly then place I against your palm. Pull the trigger. The wire should feed. If not increase tension on rollers if it pushes to fast back off the tension.

Ground is solid. No extension cord used Rusty, directly plugged to a 220 welding outlet put in specifically for welders. I will do the palm test tomorrow.

Had my Clark 120V for well over 25 years...works like a charm and yes I do use it a lot!
The wire has started to stick in the cable a little now but I spray it up and it runs. I did buy a new welder as a replacement (not the same brand) as its just that time. I cant complain about the Clark.... :)

Had my 130 en for about 7 yrs now, the only issue i didn't cause was the ground cable is crap. had to replace it with bigger and works great!

makes me think my ground cable is toast too, same symptoms, cheap Dual-MIG Italian made welder (and these guys make Ferraris???) ..ground clamp is weak and a few wires are frayed at the clamp.

-
Back